Cryptomatte Issues

7274   9   2
15 posts
Hello,

I have tried to use Houdini's cryptomatte feature; however, Nuke is simply not picking it up at all. I tried rendering it out as a separate file and incorporated into the main exr output as well. I know that cryptomatte in nuke works,because a vray render is recognized immediately in regards to a cryptomatte pass. I also tried a simple scene with 2 objects and had no luck. Any help on this would be great!

Cheers.
147 posts
Have you tried opening the result inside Houdini to see if it renders properly?

COP [www.sidefx.com]

rob
Edited by RobW - June 28, 2018 09:33:16
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
15 posts
I did open the cryptomatte exr inside of Houdini under composite view and it shows there. And you can actually see the channels are present in Nuke if you directly connect the viewer to the cryptomatte exr. However, the point is to be able to use the cryptomatte node to pick your mattes, which is not working with houdini renders; but is working with vray renders. Any suggestions?
147 posts
I assume you're rendering with Mantra?

The cryptomatte node in Nuke should work ‘as is’, so I can only think somehow the output in the exr is off somehow.
Especially because the exr from V-Ray works in Nuke as expected.

Any chance to see if Fusion is doing the same thing?

rob
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
15 posts
I don't have fusion installed. There aren't that many settings to tweak under cryptomatte. Is this just a bug? It's not showing up in mplay under the aov list. I also have tried rendering to disk from the mantra node. Not sure what else to try to get it to work in Nuke. Any suggestions?
Edited by johnlanius79 - June 28, 2018 12:27:21

Attachments:
Ref_1.jpg (923.3 KB)
Ref_2.jpg (576.2 KB)

Staff
425 posts
I tried rendering in mantra and loading in Nuke just now and I'm not seeing any issues…

If you're using sidecar manifests, please make sure that the manifest file is located in the same path as your cryptomatte exr image.
If you're trying to create a layer using user property (ie not object name or material name), please make sure that the object you're rendering has the correct property name and that it's outputting valid data (remember it has to be string type).
Also, try using Cryptomatte COP to see if you can select and generate masks within houdini (to see if the file has correct metadata and rule out problems on mantra side).

It's normal for Cryptomatte image planes to not show up in mplay during the render (you should see them when you open it up after the render though).

If all else fails, please post your .hip file here.
15 posts
I am not doing anything special. Just rendering out a normal exr and the cryptomatte pass is being rendered separately. I have no special options enabled….just a normal render using the object pass under cryptomatte (no special attributes). I even tried a brand new scene with a simple camera; 2 objects; a light; and mantra pbr node. Still get the same results. I also tried to open up the cryptomatte node in the composite view and it's not working there either. However, you can see the matte in cops but it's not working at all. Please see the references below. I'd be happy to create a new simple scene with 2 objects, etc. and attach the file here if needed. I am wondering if it's a bug with the particular build: 16.5.439?? Any suggestions?

Attachments:
Ref_1.jpg (477.5 KB)
Ref_2.jpg (660.2 KB)
Ref_3.jpg (652.1 KB)

Staff
425 posts
I've been testing with 16.5.439 and I can't reproduce the problem on my end…

Do the object names show up in Cryptomatte COP's “Matte Selection” parameter box when you select the objects you want to generate matte for? (it's difficult to tell from screenshots if you have anything selected)

Also, I noticed from your Nuke screenshot that you're using an old version of cryptomatte plugin - it shouldn't matter as long as it's relatively recent, but can you try using the latest plugin and see if anything changes?

.hip file would be appreciated - along with a frame of cryptomatte EXR.
15 posts
I have attached the .hip file I was testing with. I did upgrade the cyrptomatte node in nuke and that partially fixed the problem. When I render out the cryptomatte exr as a separate file, it now shows up correctly in nuke. However, if I do not render the cryptomatte file separately, then the mantra exr render immediately errors when dropped into Nuke. Any suggestions?

Attachments:
untitled.hip (1.9 MB)
untitled.mantra1.0009.exr (6.8 KB)

15 posts
Ok. Update. Once I updated Cryptomatte to 1.2, Houdini to 16.5.496, and Nuke to 11.1v4; then everything worked as it should. Thanks for your help…the issue now seems to be resolved.
  • Quick Links