Can't apply tessellation in my houdini digital assets?

4173   5   3
10 posts
Hi friends.

Do we need to set something in particular in Houdini in order to make a Digital Asset ‘accept’ materials with tessellation inside UE4? I tried it with one of my DA but it didn't work, even when I bake the Asset to Actor.

Curious thing is that…. if I export the baked actor from UE4 to FBX and then re-import this FBX back again to UE4, tessellation will work on this fbx.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

By default, mesh created by the Houdini Engine plugin do not build the adjacency buffer that is required for tesselation to work. You can change this by going to project settings > Houdini Engine > Static Mesh Build settings and enable “Build adjacency buffer” there.

Recook your asset so that the mesh is rebuilt, and you should then be able to apply your tessellated material.
3 posts
Hey Dpernuit, as this is a bit older topic, I suppose we don't have that “build adjacency buffer” in Houdini engine for unreal v2.0?
I was playing with session sync here and wasn't able to show the correct material because of that adjacency error (“Adjacency information not built for static mesh with a material that requires it.”)
Is there any different workaround to work with session sync while building adjacency buffer?

Many thanks,

Rafael Bottari Martinez
1 posts
I, like martinez3d, am having some difficulty figuring out what the new settings are to make tessellated materials work now that “build adjacency buffer” no longer seems to be a setting. If anyone has an update on how this functionality has changed, that would be awesome.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

There are still a few settings that are missing in V2, build adjacency buffer being one of them.
Please feel free to submit a bug report for that.
16 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

There are still a few settings that are missing in V2, build adjacency buffer being one of them.
Please feel free to submit a bug report for that.

I think I have succeded to make it work by changing Static mesh method in HDA's details to UHoudiniStaticMesh, rebuild asset. Gotta check more if it working correctly.

***update:
It indeed works, but if bake, the result won't work
Edited by neshamota - Dec. 9, 2020 13:58:41
  • Quick Links