terrible installation system based on powershell, sloppy

1828   6   1
4 posts
can't install Houdini apprentice (I choose apprentice free and not commercial server), but first allow me to point out some remarks. I have all the requirements on hardware side. The installation is even worse than Autodesk one which is quite an achievement if you ask me
The powershell requirement is what would be considered sloppy programming and exposes users to security risks, I have it disabled by group policy. Why still base a program on powershell, java or flash seriously.

That said even if I enable powershell exe I can't install this crap - talking about the installer, I believe the program when runs is top notch. Which again begs the question why would you make such a bad installer if you have such a good program, considered the best as you know it.

Now back to what I said about Autodesk, at least that one tells you what went wrong and usually you just have to uninstall all the C++ and frameworks, here nothing happens, just stuck at delete file:

Extract: vcredist_x64.exe… 100%
Installing Microsoft C Run-Time Libraries (this could take several minutes)
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 16.5.571\vcredist_x64.exe

and thats it, the installer is stuck, forever. When I click on uninstall Houdini the shortcut gets deleted, Oh My
1743 posts
danute3
The powershell requirement
Sorry, but what Powershell requirement are you referring to? Unless I'm mistaken, Houdini doesn't require Powershell, and neither does the installer. It's not listed on our system requirements page [www.sidefx.com]. The installation system is actually based on NSIS, which hasn't been updated since long before Powershell existed, which itself isn't a great thing, but it usually works.

danute3
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 16.5.571\vcredist_x64.exe

and thats it, the installer is stuck, forever.
Sounds like a permissions issue. Does that file exist? If so, what happens if you try to manually delete it? Do you have User Account Control disabled? What version of Windows are you running? (e.g. Windows 10 Home? Windows 10 Pro? Windows 10 S? Windows 7 Pro?) Note that “Windows 10 S” is not supported, but other versions of Windows 10 are, and Windows 7 and 8 are. If it's some variation of Windows 10, what major update are you on? Are you running Windows in a virtual machine?
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
4 posts
Hi

the powershell info is on this forum, your software engineer made a post about including it to improve installation experience (had to scour the web for that piece of info).

if its not included than ok, I will block it immediately, though I've had the sensation the installer moved forward with powershell on, at least some icons started to show up properly and the software finally compared in the install/uninstall programs - it did not before so maybe there is powershell hmmm…

vcredist_x64.exe is not present in the folder, I've ran the installer as admin, might be permissions but all other software installs fine (including the infamous Autodesk). So weird I wanted to run Houdini so bad today, feels terrible to loose so much time on the installer, almost considering… no I must try Houdini at least once

tried to run in safe mode (means no compatibility issues), the same, installer stuck, if I run Houdini nothing happens, it just sits in memory

does it rely on a service I might have disabled in the past? antivirus and hips is not reporting any counter action neither so its not that

win 7 latest build
Edited by danute3 - Oct. 1, 2018 14:37:59
1743 posts
danute3
the powershell info is on this forum, your software engineer made a post about including it to improve installation experience
By any chance, could you post a link to the post? There are links to individual posts in the bottom right of every post, so that they can easily be linked-to individually.

I once ran into an issue with anti-virus software (Norton) randomly deleting or moving files during the Houdini installation, so if you have anti-virus software other than Windows Defender, the issue might be something related to that.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
4 posts
can't find it right now (Murphy's law)

the antivirus compatibility is ruled out, since as I said I've run this under safe mode 2, the only thing is that hitmanpro alert simulates VM but it doesn't run under safe mode (why would u mention VM btw it got me curious). The only thing I did wrong initially was running this version first : https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Others/Houdini-FX.shtml [www.softpedia.com]
, which is houdini-16.5.496-win64-vc14 then I tried this version from this site houdini-16.5.571-win64-vc14

the weirdest of all is that houdini this time is not listed in the installed programs so it will be a big list of leftovers. I can't even uninstall it. I'll try change path last thing that comes to mind or make a new install with windows 10

for the love of God please consider making a more straightforward installer in the future. At least this forum is better from the UE4 one (famous for copy pasted post replies) and you are trying to help

EDIT: Houdini server can't start, its listed in services.msc
Edited by danute3 - Oct. 1, 2018 15:10:37
4 posts
I go to sleep, all this installation got me tired, have had great accomplishments in mind with Houdini but no
648 posts
danute3
please consider making a more straightforward installer in the future
An unzip-n-run option for Windows & Linux would be better (like Blender).
Disk space is cheap nowaydays, no need for installers anymore.
  • Quick Links