How to use scipy with Houdini 17 on windows?

17576   26   4
36 posts
btw, it's working pretty fine with Hou18 py3 tech prev. I just installed it using pip.
18 posts
claudiohick
btw, it's working pretty fine with Hou18 py3 tech prev. I just installed it using pip.

Thank you so much for reporting this! I was hoping that such a transition to python3 would happen soon.

Do you mind sharing the details on how you managed it? (My Houdini18 python37/Scripts folder does not have pip.exe in it. I am not really a python expert )

Cheers!
18 posts
Ok! Everything works with the Houdini 18.0 - Python 3 Tech Preview tech preview on Windows. Finally this issue can rest, for now. I have also updated the description on this tutorial page [wordpress.discretization.de] were MacOS & Linux guides will be added.

Installing scipy for Houdini with python3 on Windows

1. Install a Houdini version with python3. Currently: Check out the daily builds website [www.sidefx.com] and grab the Python 3 Tech Preview (or the next full Houdini release once python3 becomes default).
  2. Download get-pip.py [bootstrap.pypa.io] and place it in your Houdini python37 folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 18.0.456\python37).
  3. Run windows cmd with admin rights and navigate to your python folder (e.g. cd “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 18.0.456\python37”).
  4. Exectue the command "python3.7.exe get-pip.py" and wait for pip to finish installing. pip.exe should now appear in the /Scripts folder.
  5. Exectue the command "python3.7.exe -m pip install scipy" and wait for scipy to install.
  6. Finished! Your Houdini should now work with scipy. No restarting of Houdini required.

To test if this actually works you should try running the following code inside a python node:

# if you get no error messages for importing these
# SciPy packages then your SciPy works!

# basic test
import scipy
import scipy.sparse as sp
import scipy.sparse.linalg as la
16 posts
Thanks for the update. I've got pip install working. One issue though, I don't seem to be able to use sidefxlabs with this release of Houdini. I get the following error. Is that the same for you too? Or have I broken my install somehow?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<console>”, line 1, in <module>
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.510/houdini/python3.7libs\sidefxlabs.py”, line 8, in <mod
ule>
import urllib2
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘urllib2’
18 posts
reform
Thanks for the update. I've got pip install working. One issue though, I don't seem to be able to use sidefxlabs with this release of Houdini. I get the following error. Is that the same for you too? Or have I broken my install somehow?

File “<console>”, line 1, in <module>
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.510/houdini/python3.7libs\sidefxlabs.py”, line 8, in <mod
ule>
import urllib2
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘urllib2’

I am unfamiliar with sidefxlabs but I can share myself that this python3 preview is not very stable. In my case, simply renaming a node throws an error.

File “Value Event Handler”, line 7, in <module>
NameError: name ‘unicode’ is not defined

This is why I am still waiting for a more stable version. My guess is that python2 is deeply rooted in many functions and that not all of them have been replaced.

Attachments:
happrentice_2020-06-29_15-58-45.png (56.8 KB)

255 posts
Anyone running Houdini 18 python 3 tech preview? Wanted to use Spicy but get this issue when opening and weird other things.. Can t do anything with it, multiples crashs…

File “<stdin>”, line 37, in set_up_pycrypto_imports
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\Houdini 18.0.566\python37\lib\site-packages\Crypto\Signature\PKCS1_PSS.py”, line 74, in <module>
from Crypto.Util.strxor import strxor
ImportError: DLL load failed: Le module spécifié est introuvable.
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
File “<stdin>”, line 1, in <module>
File “<stdin>”, line 54, in main
File “<stdin>”, line 19, in __enter__
File “<stdin>”, line 40, in set_up_pycrypto_imports
NameError: name ‘reload’ is not defined
Edited by vinyvince - Aug. 31, 2020 08:05:40
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
255 posts
.. How to use scipy with anaconda 2.7 and custom houdini folder python 2.7? which files and folder to you merge and replace, keep and what to type to lets houdini know the lib package is installed? Gave a try before but give me back some success… Not really my confort zone… Not sure to understand why such a lib is not part of the houdini python base by default indeed..?
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
  • Quick Links