Hython an Houdini Engine

3909   2   1
224 posts
I am a little unclear on how hython relates to Houdini engine.

Currently, I have some hython scripts that perform some geometric processes in non-graphical mode. The scripts use the hou module to open a hip file, set some parameter values, and cook one of the nodes. It all works fine using normal houdini in non-graphical mode.

My question, can I also use houdini engine to execute these scripts?

Currently, I see docs for all the engine plugins, (unreal, maya, etc). I also see docs for the houdini engine hapi c api. But I don't see any docs for stand alone houdini engine. (Is there even such a thing?)

I also see here
https://www.sidefx.com/faq/license-acquisition/ [www.sidefx.com]

• Product Name: Houdini Engine
  • Keystring Name: Houdini-Engine
  • Executable Name(s): hbatch,hython

I think this means that when I execute hython at the bash shell, hserver will ask for a Houdini-Engine license. Is that right?
Patrick
636 posts
When you want to run a commandline houdini(hython, hbatch) it needs a license( engine, core, fx). The old name was houdini batch but because there is now engine they changed the name.

If it's for testing the apprentice license works also.

Hython and hbatch is the commandline houdini in therms of usage not the same as houdini engine. But they use the same license.

For your question i would say not 1:1 in theory you can make a button in your app that executes the scripts in the console or you can make a HDA that uses the scripts.
224 posts
Hi Mandrake

I figured it out now, I got an email from support. I wanted to run hython scripts with Houdini Engine. (I am not using the C API.) They confirmed that hython will work if you have an Engine license.

Patrick
Patrick
  • Quick Links