Visual effects pipeline | Houdini and freeBSD

5316   6   1
13 posts
Though there is no ‘official’ build I'm aware of for freeBSD, has anyone run Houdini on the freeBSD operating system successfully?

*prays to the god of pretty pictures the answer is ‘yes’*
-Modulok-
Hello world.
2 posts
At least apprentice edition works for me

I had some problems with license file, but it works now
13 posts
What kind of trouble? What did you do to get the licence to work? Any other problems such as display flickers or things of that nature? Any installation issues? Could you compare the performance between it on BSD vs. Linux?

Sorry for coming off like an interrogation, it's just finding a BSD user who also uses Houdini is kind of rare to say the least.
-Modulok-
Hello world.
2 posts
What kind of trouble? What did you do to get the licence to work?
I got it work, but license server didn't accept keys at beggining. But I suppose that was my fault (i installed as regular user (not root) and in my home dir, not in /usr)
Any other problems such as display flickers or things of that nature?
Nope
Any installation issues?
Only one – I had to download RH9 libsdtc++ and libgcc_s libraries
Could you compare the performance between it on
BSD vs. Linux?
I've never trie Houdini on Linux
Sorry for coming off like an interrogation, it's just finding a BSD user who also uses Houdini is kind of rare to say the least.
-Modulok-

Actully I'm just testing different 3D software, so I'm first-time Houdini user
13 posts
Thanks for the reply, and the info

-Modulok-
Hello world.
21 posts
Hey trepan, so did you download the installer for Linux and ran it in FreeBSD? (just to confirm, since it is the only installer that makes sense for freebsd. even though, the macos one might work as well.)
2038 posts
I think since trepans post, he's gotten married, had two chilren, moved to the bahamas, suffered a bankruptcy, but now happily lives on a homestead farm out in the Ozarks but with limited internet connectivity.
  • Quick Links