Control a color ramp angle

3003   9   1
7 posts
I'm a short term user of houdini and i want to have control of the angle of a color ramp… not only x, y or z. Is it possible?
vman
Inspire | Create | Remix | Share
472 posts
Hi,

I have no idea to do this with an usual color ramp. But you can use three independent float ramps to gain control over the color parameters (no matter if RGB or HSV space).

Attachments:
hsv_ramp.hipnc (75.0 KB)

7 posts
hi… thanks for the quick answer… in fact… i want to control the angle of the color ramp to get this textures over an asset with the Cd attribute and not an image texture…

https://www.sidefx.com/media/images/tutorial/tutorials/feather-tools/featherGenerator_featherSread_pWire_v2_jOM7zfT.png [www.sidefx.com]

i'm making a feather asset for educational purposes and i want to control every aspect of it…

cheers
vman
472 posts
Hi,

Ok. But using float ramps is generally a good idea to gain more control, since you can modify the interpolation types. Color Ramps are very limited (only useful for color gradients), because you have less control over the interpolation splines.
7 posts
totally i agree… please check my wip asset and please tell me the upgrades i can make and the errors or non functional things i have if you have some spare time… thanks

Attachments:
feather_asset_vex_v005.hiplc (1.2 MB)
feather004.png (1008.2 KB)

vman
472 posts
Ah nice did you rebuild the feather tool?

What I saw on the first view, is that you have already a high control level. It looks very nice for me. Perhaps one little thing is that you may use the @curveu attribute in the noise_l/noise_r node to keep the transformation near the rachis smaller.

@P += noisemask * noise * @curveu; for example in the noise_l/noise_r …

But this is just my personal opinion.
Nice work !
7 posts
Thanks for the feedback… and the compliment.. I rebuild the feather tool for educational purposes to have better aknowledgment of houdini… its incredible this piece of software…

i will check your annotations later…

i love vex and tried to do everything with it… jajaja
vman
7 posts
i did it… it was not so complicated…

i combine a rotation matrix based in a tokeru snippet and have controls like for noise but for color ramp…

i hope is useful for someone aside of me..

included the hip file

cheers…

Attachments:
color_ramp_angle.hiplc (198.2 KB)

vman
472 posts
Hi,

as additional idea, if you want to have control over a color gradient along a geometry, you can use an input curve aswell using the xyzdist() function to get parameters like distance and curveu. With these parameters you can map the color ramp onto a geometry following the curve shape.

Attachments:
ColorByCurve.hipnc (72.9 KB)

7 posts
hell yeah!!!

i love your idea… and love xyzdistance… i emulate a c4d effector with xyz and its awesome… thanks a lot… im vexing right now..

cheers
vman
  • Quick Links