HDA unstable/crashes a lot using terrain and boolean tools

5638   3   0
25 posts
We have created a terrain cutout/carving HDA for 3dsmax. HDA is really unstable in 3dsmax at the point even trying to delete the HDA from the scene, it crashes 3dsmax. Terrain we are trying also has a max polycount to 400k.
I am attaching 3dsmax file which has a Terrain and pieces to cut/carve and also HDA.
We don't have a specific steps that its crashing as its doing it randomly but here are couple of things to try:
Method 1:
1 : Create HDA object and add Terrain and One of the piece.
2: Bake out Mesh.
3 : Use Bake out mesh in the HDA and add second piece. Try to enable/Disable “Show Only Cutout Piece”.

Mathod 2:
1 : Add HDA as an modifier to terrain piece.
2 : Add 2 piece to cut out.
3 : Try to use the same param “Show Only Cutout Piece”

Here is another bug we found where resetting xform removes generated mesh created by HDA.

Again there are not specific steps but in general, try to use the HDA and you will see where its crashes.
If you need more info, please let us know,
Edited by parth patel - April 16, 2019 15:35:00

Attachments:
3dsmaxScene.rar (9.2 MB)

25 posts
Did some more research into why its is crashing and found out most of the time, its crashing performing boolean operation.
HDA first cutouts a sections of terrain based on piece to cutout and performs necessary operations. After doing those operation there is check out “Show Only Cutout Piece” to stick the cutout piece to original terrain and this is where its is crashing.
I have uploaded a new 3dsmax file and HDA to test out.

Thanks,

Attachments:
TerrainCutOut.rar (10.7 MB)

Staff
387 posts
Hi – this should be fixed in the latest daily build (17.5.237). Please let me know if it is working for you now!
25 posts
BrandonA
Hi – this should be fixed in the latest daily build (17.5.237). Please let me know if it is working for you now!
Yes, new version fixed the issue. Thanks for taking care of it.
  • Quick Links