Best option for text overlay?

2474   6   4
86 posts
Currently using a ROP Composite Output for my text overlays.

Is there a faster/better option? Surprised how slow the node is at completing tasks when compared to the OpenGL ROP that generated the base images. The text overlay seems to be taking about 5x longer than the OpenGL render. And it's memory hungry, too.

Is this the best route to go for a text overlay that echoes wedge values? I'd hate to resort to rendering geo for this, but working on a lone machine and waiting so long for a text overlay gives me time for crazy thoughts…

mC
648 posts
can't try fixing it without a hipfile…
86 posts
Hey, cpb…thanks for the reply.

I wasn't posting this as a ‘ROP Composite Output is broken’ kind of thing. Just wondering if this is what people typically use, if the speed I'm seeing sounds normal, and if there are some alternative approaches for text overlays.

If this does sound like an issue with my TOPnet, though, I can try to create a shareable file from the project.

mC
11 posts
MoltenCrazy
Hey, cpb...thanks for the reply.

I wasn't posting this as a 'ROP Composite Output is broken' kind of thing. Just wondering if this is what people typically use, if the speed I'm seeing sounds normal, and if there are some alternative approaches for text overlays.

If this does sound like an issue with my TOPnet, though, I can try to create a shareable file from the project.

--
mC
Hey did u find any alternative to this..
I face 2 issue
1.taking longer time as compared to opengl
2. I'm getting error on last frame in every wedge.
If my frame range is 1-100 I'm getting error on 100
If I set my frame range from 1-101 I'm getting error on 101.

The error is
"work item 'overlaytext1_ropfetch1_183' lists file as an expected output file, but it wasn't found when the item cooked"
262 posts
MoltenCrazy

Is there a faster/better option? Surprised how slow the node is at completing tasks when compared to the OpenGL ROP that generated the base images. The text overlay seems to be taking about 5x longer than the OpenGL render. And it's memory hungry, too.

Is this the best route to go for a text overlay that echoes wedge values? I'd hate to resort to rendering geo for this, but working on a lone machine and waiting so long for a text overlay gives me time for crazy thoughts... :P

--
mC
`
The fastest approach is using imagemagick for that. The main problem is their caotic docs.
I had to dig a lot and as far as I remember, I've used the generic generator for that, because the image magick TOP node doesn't give you enough options for working with text.
11 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
MoltenCrazy

Is this the best route to go for a text overlay that echoes wedge values? I'd hate to resort to rendering geo for this, but working on a lone machine and waiting so long for a text overlay gives me time for crazy thoughts... :P

--
mC
`
The fastest approach is using imagemagick for that. The main problem is their caotic docs.
I had to dig a lot and as far as I remember, I've used the generic generator for that, because the image magick TOP node doesn't give you enough options for working with text.

Can u share the Hip file please. I'm having trouble using overlay text looking for alternative.
Thanks
262 posts
ashutoshm532
guilhermecasagrandi
MoltenCrazy

--
mC
`

Can u share the Hip file please. I'm having trouble using overlay text looking for alternative.
Thanks

Unfortunately, I can't share company's assets, but I can help you. Just look for the image magick docs for text generation and then I can help you out.
  • Quick Links