weird normal baking results

2839   4   1
75 posts
Hi,
I'm getting some funky results with the maps baker vs the simple baker. I'm transferring a converted heightfield from low to high. The left is the new baker and the right is the correct simple baker. I've tried about everything I can think of here. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong.
Edited by smbell - July 19, 2019 17:01:07

Attachments:
Screenshot_2.jpg (220.8 KB)
cratered_terrain_15.hiplc (2.3 MB)

900 posts
+up

I think I was experiencing too similar results when I was experimenting with these baking tools.

ps. what version of the gamedev tools do you have?
My simple baker node is bugged and gives me some python error.
Edited by Andr - July 27, 2019 16:45:59
75 posts
Andr
+up

I think I was experiencing too similar results when I was experimenting with these baking tools.

I'm using 1.173

Did you find any solution?

This is still happening in a new scene with different geo.
197 posts
smbell
Andr
+up

I'm using 1.173

Did you find any solution?

This is still happening in a new scene with different geo.

Hey, try changing the Tracing Mode parameter to “Surface Based”. The reason you see those weird streaks, is because its looking for the nearest collision surface, which might not be directly above or below your lowpoly. (Like a valley or a peak). See my talk if you want to more information why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8HqBuH9xew [www.youtube.com]

PS: Once you do change the mode, set the Max Trace Distance to something high enough since your objects are huge in the scene. (Landscapes are 1000x1000 units by default)

Hope that helps!
Paul
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
75 posts
Hi,
So I've had some time to play around with this a bit more and the problem is coming from the fact that the terrain has incoming orthographic UVs (which I would like to keep). Using a UV flatten on the terrain before works fine as does basically any other UV layout besides orthographic. Which makes this tool not very useful as is for terrains without having to have another uv set just for the normal map.

If I delete the nice flat UVs that the terrain has then the baking works correctly with one other minor problem. I dove into the node and noticed the UV projection spacing is set to 2 which was making the usable uv space very poorly optimized. Promoting this parameter to the SOP level might be useful… I lowered it down to 0.01 which is better, but the UV layout has thousands of tiny islands which makes for some ugly seams. Having the tool work with orthographic UVs would be really nice for terrains. The terrain texture SOP is cool, but generates world space normal maps which aren't useful for adding detail to low res terrain.

I've attached a simple example with a small piece of terrain, if you turn on and off the uv flatten, you can see the orthographic uv issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pqa0EM–dcvmgcjp4bBFA7kwpuIU_eME [drive.google.com]

Edit: I added some screenshots with the generated UVs and the Orthographic UV's which are very similar in this certain case, but the ortho UVs fail.

Edited by smbell - Sept. 10, 2019 20:15:12

Attachments:
Screenshot_2a.jpg (161.1 KB)
Screenshot_2b.jpg (142.0 KB)

• Quick Links