Character Animation and Facial Expression in Houdini?

3593   3   3
2 posts
Hi good people,

I'm a newbie in Houdini, so please bear with me with this general question, I learn some of the procedural modeling and topobuild already, and also I read (well, skimmed) the book of Houdini foundation [www.sidefx.com]

But when I search about character animation tutorial video, I found none of it, I found some tutorials about character explodes, in a fire, or turned into dust, but I'm searching for facial expression/dialogue tutorial and character animation tutorial like walking, running, jumping, touching, etc. Am I missing something?

What software do you guys use for character animation/facial expression? (is it Maya?) I want to make some short films, some style like Moana or Frozen (I know the professional ones are amazing, I want to do something that at least looks alike/more realistic),Please advise..

Update:
oh, I just found this paid course and just bought it on Udemy: Houdini Character Animations - Auto Rig Pose to Pose Animations [www.udemy.com]
but it's not covering facial rig/expression/dialogue.
Edited by lndftrn13 - Dec. 3, 2019 22:19:51
248 posts
go to the website Learn>Tutorial section. There were some tuts by community about facial rigs. As well as Illume webinars about this.
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
172 posts
Facial rigging is not a common task in Houdini. I'd like to see a good tut about that too.
I guess it's possible to make up something knowing basics of Houdini rigging + common facial rigging techniques.
like blend shapes and skin deformation using bones idk.
I contribute to the beauty of this world
2 posts
glitchi
go to the website Learn>Tutorial section. There were some tuts by community about facial rigs. As well as Illume webinars about this.
Thank you, found about facial blend shape from the paid course: Utilizing the Auto Rig and Muscle System Tools in Houdini [app.pluralsight.com], made in 2014 (I'll check it), but other than that, nothing much I can find that I can make something from it.

also found the rigging series [www.sidefx.com]

IL
Facial rigging is not a common task in Houdini. I'd like to see a good tut about that too.
I guess it's possible to make up something knowing basics of Houdini rigging + common facial rigging techniques.
like blend shapes and skin deformation using bones idk.
Yeah, that makes sense, I hope the experts in Houdini will make good tutorials about this, paid courses are fine, I'll buy them all even though those are expensive.
SHED's animation did it [vimeo.com], and the result is amazing, I'll look forward to someone making the paid courses, can't wait to learn this wonderful software to the full extent.
Edited by lndftrn13 - Dec. 5, 2019 00:32:09
  • Quick Links