More maps baker issues

5969   5   1
18 posts
Hey again,

Using labs version 368 and houdini indie 18.0.287

I'm trying to bake some flat grass blade alphas onto a flat plane. All the maps are coming out at black or empty. If I have the folder open in windows during the bake I can see that correct information is being baked but then it seems to be overwritten right at the end for some reason.

I've attached two screengrabs

Its a simple mesh and some simple 2D geometry. It doesnt matter if I apply different normals, extrude the flat planes. I've tried a whole bunch of random stuff and it seems to always happen.

Attachments:
afterbake.png (12.0 KB)
During Bake.png (19.8 KB)

197 posts
Hi,

I know why this issue is happening. It's caused by a regression from a fix I had already made once before. (It thinks its rendering UDIMs, and therefore overwrites the same file (since there is no udim Syntax in the filename) Please file a bug with support and I will fix this for you first thing tomorrow. (please attach file)

Paul
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
21 posts
Using the maps baker with UDIMs with proper syntax
%(UDIM)d
everything looks nice except the Normal Map. Somehow the different UDIMs are overlaped in all the exported images, it seems like they are computed together from 0-1 or something similar.

The normal maps seems overlapped, the other maps looks ok. I've added an attachment

Is that behavior expected? Any tips to figure out know what I'm doing wrong? Or could it be a “bug” or something not implemented yet?

Òscar
Edited by ocalaf - Feb. 20, 2020 17:36:58

Attachments:
maps_baker_normal_udims.png (564.5 KB)

197 posts
Hi,

I just fixed a lot of issues. Could you try build 387?

Paul
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
21 posts
Hi Paul, I forgot to mention it, but after seeing last release notes I just updated Labs to 387 to check if it was fixed. It happens using that version too:

BTW I’m using last public release of Houdini Indie, does the last Labs release requieres any particular daily build or should be just fine with the last production build?

Houdini Version 18.0.348
sidefxlabs_current_version 387

Rough sample attached

Thx,
Òscar
Edited by ocalaf - Feb. 21, 2020 12:06:43

Attachments:
maps_baker_udim_normal_mess.hiplc (398.6 KB)
normal_mess_udim.jpg (204.6 KB)

21 posts
I'm stuck with the same problem, I tried with a simple scene with a tourus and a sphere and upgraded the tools but I'm getting the same results, or even worst since now Houdini crashes when I try to preview udim maps under the maps baker (before it only look bad, but I think it wasn't crashing):

• Houdini Indie Version: 18.0.391
  • sidefxlabs_current_version: 425

I attach the scene and some results.

Thanks in advance for any tips with normal maps using udim's and the maps baker.
Edited by ocalaf - April 5, 2020 13:18:12

Attachments:
normal_udim_recovered.hiplc (521.4 KB)
normal_udim_recovered_normal_1001.png (890.5 KB)
normal_udim_recovered_normal_1002.png (970.7 KB)
normal_udim_recovered_ao_1001.png (291.8 KB)
normal_udim_recovered_ao_1002.png (335.0 KB)

• Quick Links