further animate Alembic Files in Houdini?

1362   1   1
4 posts
Hi I have an alembic file from Modo that contains “raining cubes” I can get it into Houdini, I can convert the .abc file to an RBD and have the cubes rain down and interact with a ground plane but…. the alembic file acts as a single abject, i.e. the cubes do not bounce individually. after the initial contact with the ground plane, the entire animation shoots up.

perhaps I don't fully understand the limitations of the alembic format?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by A_Ghost - March 6, 2020 02:32:22
806 posts
Moin,

you need to give more information: Are the cubes exported (and imported) as individual objects or as one huge chunk? Do they have any ID on them so that you could split the geometry into separate objects?
For a simulation to work the way you hint at, each cube has to be separate geometry. If you treat the whole geometry you imported from the ABC as one chunk, your simulation cannot do anything else but follow your lead. Either you split the content up in Houdini - or you export as individual objects to begin with.
Maybe you could link a test file with reduced geometry (two cubes?) …

Marc
(ex-modo-user)

Disclaimer: If I should come across as rude, it's because 99 times out of 100 1-time-posters (and 2-time-posters, too) never respond and I moan the loss of life-time for every attempt to help.
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
  • Quick Links