Prevent (Block) Houdini from reading a specific MIDI Device

2463   1   1
245 posts
Hi.

I have posted about my developments with MIDI In as it relates to Denon SC3900 Media Turntables long ago. Specifically I was able to use the 2 outputs from the Denon to have one read into Serato and the other read into Houdini, effectively allowing me to scratch on the turntable and have the audio go to Serato and the 3D Geometry in Houdini to follow the action of the scratch in an animated fashion.

I now have Rane Twelve turntables and they are MIDI HID Devices. They only have one output altogether: MIDI over USB.

I am wondering if there is a way for me to block the MIDI signal coming from the Ranes (perhaps on a per-channel basis or otherwise) so that I can read the internal MIDI in Serato and also read the signal in Houdini via BOME MIDI Translator Pro. The BOME Translator would hopefully read the MIDI from the turntable and pass that signal on a different channel to Houdini. I am not sure if this would work, though because once Serato captures the MIDI signal, it might prevent BOME from receiving any input whatsoever.

Unfortunately I cannot pass the MIDI from the BOME Translator to Serato as this will not allow for the scratching of the platter to be read as it would be with the Rane Signal directly. Somehow the Ranes and Serato have an inseparable communication or marriage so to speak. If I run BOME first then launch Serato, Serato won't read the Ranes and I cannot scratch audio with them.

In the past it worked only with the Denons as I could pass the Serato TimeCode signal over the RCA plugs to my Serato mixer while passing the MIDI over USB to the BOME Translator which would pass the signal to Houdini.

Any help on this is appreciated and I apologize for being so verbose in my initial message.
245 posts
and now that i think about it. even if Houdini would work, if i launch BOME first to initially capture the Rane MIDI signal and then launch Serato to try to also secondly, it still might not work as BOME has captured control of the Twelve first and exclusively. but i will try in a few hours just to rule out the off chance.
  • Quick Links