Axiom Solver - Sparse GPU Fluid Solver

26403   25   5
138 posts
Come across this awesome asset.

Axiom is a sparse, GPU accelerated volumetric fluid solver for computer graphics and visual effects. It’s key feature is the custom OpenCL volume data structure thats lets sparse simulations run on a GPU.

https://www.mattpuchala.com/axiom [www.mattpuchala.com]

Hope Houdini could implement this tech in next version~
Edited by wanglifu - Sept. 9, 2020 00:23:34
675 posts
Wow, this is really impressive. The question is: is it faster than the sparse pyro solver running in opencl mode?

Cheers
CYTE
138 posts
CYTE
Wow, this is really impressive. The question is: is it faster than the sparse pyro solver running in opencl mode?

Cheers
CYTE
The question is the sparse pyro solver doesn't support opencl yet.
675 posts
Hey wanglifu,

ah ok, didn`t know that. There is a checkbox in the sparse solver?
Nevertheless, I played with axiom for like 5 Minutes. It feels amazing. Super fast and user friendly!

Cheers
CYTE

Attachments:
OpenCL.jpg (77.0 KB)

675 posts
this shows the speed advantage of axiom:

Axiom Sneak Peak [vimeo.com]
Edited by CYTE - Sept. 9, 2020 03:14:36
84 posts
…with the opencl tab checked (houdini sparse pyro solver) its falling back to non-sparse version. Its only sparse solving on CPU for now.
833 posts
How does it compare to EmberGen?

https://jangafx.com/software/embergen/ [jangafx.com]
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
5 posts
Having issues running with Linux. Looks like the solver isn't running with 18.0.499.I am just getting the source result output from the Axiom Solver node. Is anyone else having the same issue?
76 posts
This is super fast! Can I somehow feed Cd attribute and get colored smoke?
675 posts
mihatsu
I`m afraid that this is not supported atm…
9 posts
CYTE
mihatsu
I`m afraid that this is not supported atm…

Hey there,

Having trouble with installation. Whenever I put down the node in sops, I get this error.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (96.5 KB)

675 posts
Hey eyestorm,

have you copied the dso files to your Houdini user folder?

Cheers
CYTE
9 posts
CYTE
Hey eyestorm,

have you copied the dso files to your Houdini user folder?

Cheers
CYTE

Yes I did. I tried them in the Houdini 18 folder inside documents and the Houdini 18 folder inside program files. Neither seemed to work. I was thinking it was perhaps because my otls are in a separate folder inside the preferences folder named otls. But it didn’t work with the axiom otl in the base preferences folder either.
675 posts
All of the Files should Go to your User Folder under Documents. What i usually do against this Kind of Problems is to rename the User folder to Houdini.18.XXX or whatever. Then restart Houdini. It will create a new User folder for you. Copy the axiom Otl and dlo Folders to this new User folder and try it again. Maybe its conflicting with something else in your old User folder.

Cheers
CYTE
9 posts
CYTE
All of the Files should Go to your User Folder under Documents. What i usually do against this Kind of Problems is to rename the User folder to Houdini.18.XXX or whatever. Then restart Houdini. It will create a new User folder for you. Copy the axiom Otl and dlo Folders to this new User folder and try it again. Maybe its conflicting with something else in your old User folder.

Cheers
CYTE

Hey thanks, that does work. It’s just very not ideal because I have a bunch of other stuff installed. Still trying to troubleshoot how to make it work with my preference folder that’s full of stuff. Because I have a folder called ‘otls’ which Houdini recognizes, if I put the axiom otl into the base preferences folder Houdini doesn’t see it. And if it’s in the otl folder, it can’t find the dll it seems, I believe that’s what the issue might be.
7726 posts
Did you try creating a package? That's the best way to associate a plugin with a specific version of Houdini.

axiom.json
{
    "enable": false,
    "path": "C:/USERS/PUBLIC/DOCUME~1/Axiom/${HOUDINI_VERSION}"
}
30 posts
jsmack
Did you try creating a package? That's the best way to associate a plugin with a specific version of Houdini.

axiom.json
{
    "enable": false,
    "path": "C:/USERS/PUBLIC/DOCUME~1/Axiom/${HOUDINI_VERSION}"
}

Hey Jonathan,
off topic package syntax question here: Can you elaborate the naming you just put in there with the “~1”? Does that evaluate into the first matching folder with “DOCUME” like tabbing in the shell on a linux machine? I was curious as the Houdini textport evaluates paths similarly.
Just ever confused using windows and having unix syntax in some places for Houdini.

Midphase
How does it compare to EmberGen?

https://jangafx.com/software/embergen/ [jangafx.com]

On that account, I believe the new 18.5 minimal solver (using a newer, more efficient version of VDBs) is similar, but Axiom is more production capable with the sparsity and ability to switch with the same algorythms, as the new minimal solver does not support that (yet).
Also with the Houdini minimal solver, I've experienced the promised switch from GPU to CPU NOT to be without change, so it does not match exactly, which is a shame - but I might be wrong. Concerning that, does anyone have experience with Axiom switching for final highres export?
Edited by martin-egger - Nov. 27, 2020 06:00:04
- Martin Egger
Student at Filmakademie BW
& Freelance FX TD
1 posts
Hey guys!

i cant for the life of me get this to work, I have copied the contents of the Axiom folders and followed the instructions exactly. however, upon restarting Houdini, Axiom does not show up? any idea why that may be? ( i have created Packages folder too)
10 posts
Hi!
same installation problem on my side,
i'm using py3 version,
perhaps it's related?

regards,
F
Edited by Fred-Animea-Studio - Aug. 11, 2021 06:25:53
indie 19.498 python 3 / windows 10
157 posts
It is compatible with python 3. Can you show me how you installed it?
Matt Puchala
www.mattpuchala.com
  • Quick Links