Solaris/Arnold - Per shot frame ranges?

1997   2   0
41 posts
Hey all,

I have a whole solaris setup and ready to render, I'm trying to do a slicker multi-shot workflow but I cant seem to get render frame ranges per shot. On the render settings node you cant specify the range, only on the very end USD_ROP node can you specify this.

I've tried injecting metadata using ‘storeparametervalues’ for the start/end frame but I cant seem to use that information down in the USD_ROP (blue).

Currently I'm using a switch to switch between my two shots here (orange).

I'm relatively new to Houdini so I may just be missing something obvious but in the USD_ROP frame range I've tried:

$shotStartFrame

/HoudiniLayerInfo.shotEndFrame (this happens when you drag the value from the scene graph)

Any help at this stage would be amazing. Thanks all

Attachments:
Annotation.jpg (795.4 KB)

Staff
4438 posts
USD has a concept of start and end frame built in. Use a Configure Layer LOP to set the per-shot start and end frame values. The USD ROP has an option to render the frame range set on the stage. There is also a toggle to the left of the viewport that lets you tell Houdini to automatically adjust the playbar range to match the start and end frame values set on the USD stage.
41 posts
Ah thank you for this, that works, I did try this but I had the config layer right before the USD_ROP, it seems want to be placed before the render settings, which makes sense.

Handy to know about the viewport setting as without that you dont know if the values are passing through to the USD_ROP.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
  • Quick Links