Color Picker (from image) in 18.5

8570   15   3
56 posts
Hello,

I am facing some issues with the color picker in 18.5. There seem to be some changes in the 18.5 version, and I am not able to get the results I used to get in Houdini 18. If I try to pick color from an image (mostly Jpg/Png in my case) I always get different results, compared to the previous version. I tried all kind of settings from the drop down menu, but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone know which settings give the same result as the older version of Houdini?

Thanks

Edited by Xue_Yue - Nov. 13, 2020 11:00:34
7727 posts
It's broken, there doesn't seem to be any set of settings that make color picking correct for any situation.
56 posts
Hello,
yeah, it seems to be incorrect. I used this feature a lot, so I'm looking forward to the fix. Thanks for looking into it and confirm my observations. Does anyone know if there is an RFE already?
73 posts
This seems to be still broken in 18.5.408. Any updates?
8 posts
You need to set correct picking color space. If you looking at srgb image, you should set pick color space to srgb.
In my case I use ACEScg and it works perfectly

Attachments:
2021-01-28_11-45.png (281.3 KB)

73 posts
Hi Thanks for your response,

I have tried setting the color space to srgb but that didnt work. I am also having problems picking colors from ramps and things.
For example I am trying to pick the color from the reflections which is (007FFF) when i pick I get (00BCFF). I have tried a few combinations of settings but nothings worked so far. turning off apply color correction seems to help.

Attachments:
color issues.png (101.5 KB)

56 posts
Hey, I just want to say that this still doesn't seem to work as it did in older versions of houdini. We don't use ACES here, maybe it works with ACES (as stated above). But when I load a simple sRGB to pick colors it is impossible to get the right values and I think I tried every possible combination available (logical and nonsense settings, just to be sure).

Should this be an RFE or a bug report? Anyone else using this without acceptable results?
Edited by Xue_Yue - May 28, 2021 12:34:18
73 posts
Hi I also have problems with this. I was unable to pick colors from external images as well as internal. I can now pick colors from an external image but if i load the image it still has issues.

In my case i realised that the issue was the apply color correction button. It seems to be buggy i have to turn it on and off to get the colors to work.
1 posts
Hi
I've resolved the problem by going to Edit/Color Settings/Color Correction and unchecking "Color Pickers and Swatches".
I hope it helps
423 posts
It's still broken for me (19.0.443)... is there a bug report?

(My cursor is over the red swatch, but it picks white)

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-11-21 131710.png (88.1 KB)

3 posts
Still broken here as well... any ideas?
38 posts
AFter trying many scenaris, setting view to "RAW" makes it work, just have to get back to you view profile
Wow factor
3 posts
Had the same problem and think I found a solution. To be clear, my "bug" was the color picker selecting wildly different colors, so different than the slightly off colors of some users.

In the Color Editor, top right corner there is a half triangle looking button "Apply Color Correction." I turned this OFF and I could finally get accurate colors picked.

Attachments:
applycolorcorrection.png (70.5 KB)

1 posts
vankyang
Had the same problem and think I found a solution. To be clear, my "bug" was the color picker selecting wildly different colors, so different than the slightly off colors of some users.

In the Color Editor, top right corner there is a half triangle looking button "Apply Color Correction." I turned this OFF and I could finally get accurate colors picked.

This guy! It worked!!!!!
3 posts
I also met this quetion, and I also find when I turn off "color correction", the image's color will be much closer to the original image, in fact, take a carefully look that is not the right way to handle this problem. In the red box, you can see there are some black dots in here, this operation just like sharpen the original image and the color is not the old one. Have anyone know the real solution? Hope someone can fix it, thx a lot!

Attachments:
Snipaste_2024-04-16_21-43-57.png (1.0 MB)

3 posts
heyJasonLee
I also met this quetion, and I also find when I turn off "color correction", the image's color will be much closer to the original image, in fact, take a carefully look that is not the right way to handle this problem. In the red box, you can see there are some black dots in here, this operation just like sharpen the original image and the color is not the old one. Have anyone know the real solution? Hope someone can fix it, thx a lot!

I just found that even if off the color correction, it just change the color editor's color, the color you pick seems right, but actullay when you redering(I'm rendering by Redshift), the color is no different with not turn off this option.
Edited by heyJasonLee - today 10:00:35
  • Quick Links