Motion blur from camera animation

6008   9   2
6 posts
Hi Houdinians,

I have a question regarding the motion blur in solaris.

I have a shot where objects are still (no animation) and only the camera is animated.

I didn't manage to some motion blur due to the camera movement.

In other renderers if your camera is moving and your objects are still you get some motion blur on the objects due to the camera animation.

Where did I fail ? Is there a peculiar parameter to check on ?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers
Cheers,

Yann

4 posts
What renderer are you using? I don't have an answer, but am piggy backing on your question. I was told (by someone who wasn't entirely sure either) that motion blur in Renderman/Solaris doesn't show up in the viewport, but does when a frame is rendered out. Even if you're not using Renderman, do you find this to be true as well?

And can anyone else confirm/deny the above statement about Renderman?

Sorry if it's rude to piggyback your question…
75 posts
For your Hydra Viewport, you'll probably need to put down a Cache LOP to cache the frames either side of the current frame.
7771 posts
ddhoudinitesting
For your Hydra Viewport, you'll probably need to put down a Cache LOP to cache the frames either side of the current frame.

You could also save the camera out first, and read it back with sublayer. Cameras come from other departments most of the time anyway.
31 posts
I'm experiencing the same problem. I attached a scene I initially created for redshift, but they said:

This issue seems to come from Solaris. I’ve been checking the RS camera motion data and somehow the Hydra plugin is reporting a constant transformation for all the mb steps. In fact, I have the same problem with Karma. Have you been able to render the camera motion blur in your scene using Karma?

In the scene I tried both creating a camera in a SOP and importing as well as creating it in LOP and animating it. I never manage to render MB - neither in Karma nor before in Redshift. Even when the shutter open/close is set to a ridonkulous value the image is perfectly sharp (the log always shows the standard -0.25, 0.25 shutter, not my set value). I tried both rendering in viewport and to mPlay.

Any help is appreciated, both by me as well as Redshift : D.
Edited by Marco Dörner - Feb. 3, 2021 10:23:17

Attachments:
noMB.hip (1.3 MB)

7771 posts
Marco Dörner
Any help is appreciated, both by me as well as Redshift : D.

I've opened your scene and it renders with motion blur for me. (18.5.462)

Using a karma node helps with changing the motion blur settings, but it was on for me without it.

Attachments:
noMB_test.hip (1.6 MB)

31 posts
I should say I tested in 18.0 - because of third party plugins we currently cannot switch to 18.5 unfortunately. You don't believe how badly I want to ^^.

Did it render with MB in viewport render as well? Mplay?
7771 posts
Marco Dörner
I should say I tested in 18.0 - because of third party plugins we currently cannot switch to 18.5 unfortunately. You don't believe how badly I want to ^^.

Did it render with MB in viewport render as well? Mplay?

as long as I was using karma, it had motion blur, whether in the scene view with karma as the active renderer or when rendering to mplay from the karma node.
7771 posts
Marco Dörner

If you are using 18.0, you can still get motion blur to work, but may need to add a rendergeometrysettings node to set the transform/geo samples to 2+ for your objects. I'm not sure where the settings are needed for camera blur. Try adding a rendergeometrysettings node with transform samples of 2 on the camera or on a common ancestor of the geometry.
31 posts
Ah, thank you! The combination of a cache node and the rendergeometrysettings (on the camera prim) worked. Without the cache node I'm not getting MB neither in the viewport nor in mplay. With a cache node it doesn't work in the viewport, but renders in mplay - both for Karma as well as for RS.
  • Quick Links