Wedge with animated value instead of constant

1863   4   0
94 posts
Hi,
I would like to know it it's possible to have an animated value instead of a constant one.
Like for example, we want to wedge a sim, but instead of using a constant value for let's say the turbulence scale, we want to animate it to have it stronger at the beginning end null at the end.
I could easily create my differents animation and then make a switch which will be taking the wedge value, but it will be nice to have it directly inside of TOPs.

Thanks for the help

Edit: Added example file showing what I mean
Edited by Matthew05 - Jan. 20, 2021 15:30:04

Attachments:
Animated_Wedge.hiplc (116.3 KB)

731 posts
You could have a CHOP network with a constant node in it. Set the frame range to, let's say 5 frames. Right click on the node and go "save -> edit data channels". Create your curve.

Now a stretch CHOP, and use
@wedgeindex
or whatever in the "length scale".

You might need a shift CHOP in there to shift it to correct frame.

Now you can reference that channel in the object that needs the animated curve with
chop("/ch/ch1/wave1/chan1")

EDIT: Just looked at your example file. If you want to add noise to your curves, you can use a noise CHOP and mult it into your curve... probably need to clamp it with a limit chop.
Edited by mrCatfish - Jan. 20, 2021 15:47:10

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2021-01-20 15-39-24.png (205.3 KB)

Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
94 posts
Hi Sean,
Thanks, I thought of using CHOPs but I didn't know how to use it.
I will try that.
Also, do you know of a way to get really differents curves, like in my picture? I guess I will have to make my animation curve using CHOPS, and then switch using my wedge attribute @animation_type

Attachments:
CurveAnim.png (76.5 KB)

8531 posts
Use Channel CHOP to create any curves you wish using Channel Editor

or if you already have animation on your original parameters, you can RMB/MotionFX/Create Clip... to store them in Channel CHOP
then you can switch among the clips using Switch CHOP and your wedge variable and either use chop() expression to get the value as Sean suggested or directly export the value from chops back to the parameters, this way you can save clips with many parameters each and switch among those groups of animation curves
Edited by tamte - Jan. 21, 2021 01:00:48
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
94 posts
Thanks Sean and Tomas,
I made some test during the night, and it worked fine. This will be much easier for me to wedge different animated values
  • Quick Links