[Potential Issue/Q.] - Merge node w/ p.cloud instancing and

2915   7   1
22 posts
Hello!

I've recently updated the H.Engine from 18.0.532 to 18.5.596 (latest production build) and have issues with all tools that were using a combination between generated meshes alongside point cloud instances as output via simple merge nodes in the end.

I feel the setup is quite common and I've used it multiple times - heightfield w/ scattered prefabs; generated surface with copied prefab geometry.

All of the tools operated on the following basis:
Houdini Setup:
Unity 2019.3.1f result:

Image Not Found

I'm also linking a simplified tool with the case.

Any pointers or help on how to better handle such cases would be much appreciated!
Edited by Twirlbound - June 30, 2021 11:48:33

Attachments:
test_multi_output_setup.hdalc (8.1 KB)

22 posts
Update for people that have similar issues

I've done some digging around in a debug session and found that in Unity a scale and rot attributes are being added to the points in-engine (I suspected for the first input in the merge node, but really not sure).

Doing an attribute delete for the scale and rot attributes seems to help the issue.

Cheers,
Ilia
100 posts
The default "disable rot/scale" option has been set to true for this reason.
22 posts
Thanks for the reply anthonyt2!

I've checked the engine documentation and it specifies that point cloud instancers should be outputting only points. We are currently having a lot of cases where outputting generated meshes alongside instanced points would be very beneficial.

Is there are recommended way to output both generated meshes alongside instanced points? - I've tried with grouping, but with no good result.

Cheers,
Ilia
100 posts
Do you mean like using a merge node? I attached a super simple example (instancing_with_mesh.hda). The points with unity_instance attribute must be a point cloud, but it shouldn't interfere with regular generated output when they are merged.
Edited by anthonyt2 - July 13, 2021 13:35:57

Attachments:
instancing_with_mesh.hda (4.1 KB)
instancing_with_mesh2.hda (4.1 KB)

100 posts
Somewhat related to this, I found an issue where instances were duplicated (and not properly parented) in some cases while creating a test HDA for this. If you are experiencing this, try updating to Houdini 18.5.638. I attached the example HDA I used for reference.

Attachments:
instancing_with_mesh3.hda (4.1 KB)

22 posts
Awesome, that was exactly the issue with it. Prefabs would get spawned at the origin of the world. I'll take a look soon!
2 posts
which file format should be used to export instance point?things not work on fbx/abc...
  • Quick Links