Exporting CSV to Rhino - Solved

1503   0   0
2038 posts
Hello,
I am trying to export points from Houdini into a csv file.
I am able to get a file written out, however when I try to import in Rhino I get no results as if the file is empty of point data.

Before I head over to the Rhino forum to see what I may be doing wrong from the import side,
I was hoping to find out if I am doing everything 'right' on the export side in Houdini.

Anyone care to have a look at this simple file?

Thanks.

Edit: I tried turning on column delimineter and leaving it set to tab
\t
as Rhino has import options like Tab, comma,etc.

I even tried changing it to comma
and still no points show up in Rhino.

Maybe there is some other app I can test importing too? I don't have a copy of Excel.

Maybe some other small free program I could download quickly and test the output file?

EDIT:

So after doing some reading about the file format of csv files, I took my exported Houdini csv file and opened it in a text editor.
There was three blank lines.
I erased them and manually added the following as comma deliminated:

I then saved and re-imported that newly saved file in Rhino and I get 3 plotted points with the corresponding xyz co-ordinates
as numbered above.

So it is now obvious I do not have the proper setup to export a csv file as how I have it in the attached file.

Solved - in the Tops Geometry Import Node there a tab 'Data Extraction' with the parameter 'Copy From Class'. I had copied the setup from elsewhere and this was set to 'Detail', switching to 'Point' gives me the exported file as desired which imports into Rhino with no problem.
Edited by BabaJ - Sept. 18, 2021 15:23:45

Attachments:
Exporting_CSV.hiplc (171.2 KB)

• Quick Links