Stepping in simulations

3179   5   2
67 posts
So I have a fast moving source but nothing too crazy, and I end up having stepping in my simulations. Currently in a pyro but happens with particles too. No matter how many sub steps I put on the DOP or in the solvers it doesn't help. Substeps were suppose to be a feature to solve this but again, they don't do anything in my case so I stopped using substeps. They just affect how sim looks but never solve any real stepping issue. I read a lot about it and some people use TIMESHIFT sop but it doesn't work for me or I don't understand what is Timeshift suppose to do anyway. Speed remains the same and my source keep "clicking" in visible steps from one frame to another. I work in 24 FPS. Maybe I should work in 120 or something Idk...I even cached out the source with more than 1 substep but that did nothing. And this is a big Houdini problem beacuse a lot of other software I used will solve this with Substeps as they are invented for this reason but in Houdini they don't fix anything, just looks.
I would post HIP file but it's not in one specific file it's an ongoing problem that I can't find solution for.
Any ideas on how to make Houdini read my incoming source as slower than it is? All I can think of is to make it slow motion and than speed it up in Nuke during post. I don't know what else to do. I can hide it and cheat it but there's gotta be a way to combat this. ANy ideas on how to fix these issues? Thanks.
Edited by Nikodim Fomich - Oct. 7, 2021 17:49:04
67 posts
For whatever it's worth I just found this video (recently released) where dude explained it pretty well. I was using the wrong node, it's not TIMESHIFT it's TIMEBLEND. This whole time I was using the wrong node because I confuse those TIME nodes and they all look the same. But for anyone with stepping issues (and based on internet search there is tons of people combating this issue in Houdini) here's the solution :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoR18FPGqk8 [www.youtube.com]
Edited by Nikodim Fomich - Oct. 7, 2021 18:33:10
238 posts
glad you found it out yourself. It will stick now .
Think of Times Shift as the Clock and Time Blend the Portal it goes through, but beware to not put Integer Frames on active on the shift node.
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
67 posts
sekow
glad you found it out yourself. It will stick now .
Think of Times Shift as the Clock and Time Blend the Portal it goes through, but beware to not put Integer Frames on active on the shift node.

Thank you. That's a good analogy, Clock and Time Portal.
Yes Integer Frames have to be unchecked to get to subframes. Copy that. Thanks for heads up.
159 posts
Not only does "Integer Frames" need to be unchecked but you need to set it to $FF or just swap it to "By Time" instead of "By Frame"
359 posts
Regarding pyro sources, sometimes you can eliminate the need for substeps by running your source geometry through a Trail SOP before rasterizing it. This effectively smears your geometry over time and does it without requiring expensive substeps during the simulation.
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
  • Quick Links