Houdini 19 groups changed

2208   2   1
36 posts
Hey just wondering if this change was intended?

I just created a group that I wanted other groups to not be selected so under "base Group" and inside I had these 3 groups "!group1 !group2 !group3" listed as seen here to select everything but these groups, this worked in H18.5 but not supported in H19 once I loaded the same file.

It works with just one but not a list and it works if I'm not using the ! marker to select what isn't in the group.

So far my workaround is to make a group then invert that just creates extra nodes we didn't need to do before.
8532 posts
group patterns historically are applied independently for space separated components with the exception of ^ operator

so by that logic,
!group1 !group2 !group3
would mean not group1 or not group2 or not group3 which would be everything except for elements that are in all groups
and that seems to be the behavior of H19

so whether intentional or not H19 seems to have the expected behavior

to get the behavior you want you need to type this instead
!{group1 group2 group3}

EDIT: ok, this seems to be the entry docummenting the change, even though not 100% your case it's most likely what caused the difference:
Houdini 19.0.248 Using multiple negated exclusions in a group field will now work as expected. So, 15 ^!first_half ^!first_ten will exclude the 15, rather than acting like 15 ^!{first_half first_ten}
Edited by tamte - Nov. 1, 2021 19:10:51
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
36 posts
Wow, Thank you!

!{group1 group2 group3} has worked well, I'll start using that! and thank you for finding that in the document!
  • Quick Links