Houdini Engine for UE5: Geometry Collections setup

4875   8   2
3 posts
Hi,

I created a simple fracture test HDA to use in Houdini Engine within UE5, and I can't seem to get the Geometry Collection to work or bake properly.  When it bakes in Unreal, it becomes a group of meshes, the type is Actor, instead of a geometry collection, which has a type of GeometryCollectionActor.  I've added attributes from the Houdini Engine for Unreal webpage, https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unreal/_chaos_integration.html, [www.sidefx.com] and packed the fractured pieces, however that doesn't seem to make a difference.  Is there a specific attribute that will force it become a geometry collection actor? Do you have a Hip file that I can view to get a better idea of how to properly set up a geometry collection HDA? 

Thank you.
6 posts
I have the same problem.
I cant get it to work.
I managed to get it to work a few times in Unreal Engine 4 (chaos version). But sometimes on rebuild, it would not work.

Let me know if you find something. I'll share if I find something when I get back to trying it out.
3 posts
@dtlendvaj, Will do.
I'm taking a break from it for now, hoping that someone from SideFX will help out in the meantime.
3 posts
I have the same problem
6 posts
It seems like its an issue and looks like its being worked on:
https://discord.com/channels/230123485668573184/231834162376474624/973371091965841458 [discord.com]
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

That is correct, UE5.0 broke our GC / Chaos integration and I'm currently working on it.
I already fixed GC input last week, and I'm just about done fixing GC output in the plugin.
Likely, expect a fix for all of this in tomorrow's daily build.

As for example HDAs, you can find 3 them in the plugin's content (in Content\Examples\Chaos)
3 posts
Good to know. Thank you for the update!
3 posts
“unreal_gc_clustering_damage_threshold” This parameter doesn't seem to work??? Or am I using it incorrectly? ? ?
Edited by chasts - May 24, 2022 08:02:28

Attachments:
gc_cluster.png (29.9 KB)

75 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

That is correct, UE5.0 broke our GC / Chaos integration and I'm currently working on it.
I already fixed GC input last week, and I'm just about done fixing GC output in the plugin.
Likely, expect a fix for all of this in tomorrow's daily build.

As for example HDAs, you can find 3 them in the plugin's content (in Content\Examples\Chaos)

Was this ever fixed? I am just checking. No matter how I match up my settings my objects simply fall through the map. I have tried using no attributes added out of Houdini HDA and the default settings are basically all the same settings as a regular fracture done in UE5.
- “spooky action at a distance”. Albert Einstein
  • Quick Links