Exporting Geometry Collections into UE5

1796   1   1
16 posts
I’m looking into exporting pre-fractured meshes from Houdini into UE5 as a Geometry Collection.

I’d like to use the RBD Material Fracture node to create 3 levels of fractures – Let’s say there’s a sphere that gets fractured in two pieces (L1), then those two get further divided into two (L2) and then each of those 4 pieces gets divided into two once more, to a total of 8 (L3).

This works in UE5 only up to level 2, but not with level 3.

Here’s my level 2 setup (also attached as an HDA), I’m using a combination of @unreal_gc_pieceand @unreal_gc_cluster:
  1. All primitives get @unreal_gc_cluster = 2to indicate 2 levels of fractures
  2. Then selecting primitives by their @namenotation that’s coming from the RBD fracture, I divide them into two clusters:
    @name=piece0-0-*get assigned @unreal_gc_cluster = 1;@name=piece0-1-*get assigned @unreal_gc_cluster = 2;

However, I am unable to do this with the level 3 fracture, as the primitives need to be in multiple clusters at the same time and that doesn't seem to be possible with the current attributes.

This is the level 3 setup I’d like to achieve in UE5, where I had to cluster the leaf nodes manually:

The provided example HDAs show multiple levels of fractures, but never with the hierarchy that I'm after, where clusters would split into smaller and smaller chunks.

The documentation [www.sidefx.com] says that "Full control over the exact GeometryCollection hierarchy is not supported at this time", is this one of those cases or am I doing something wrong? If it's the former, do you have a timeline when this could be implemented?

Thanks!

Attachments:
GC_Houdini_01.jpg (224.6 KB)
GC_Houdini_02.jpg (232.7 KB)
GC_UE5_Desired.jpg (217.5 KB)
GC_example.hda (61.1 KB)

2 posts
I found out from the official documentation that it might be necessary to make layers like this, but I haven't succeeded in importing UE

Attachments:
T@55PHAK~HE1P1MOTH@DP`6.png (1.5 MB)

• Quick Links