Latest, best houdini training

15572   11   5
9 posts
Hi! new comer to houdini I was wondering about the latest, greatest and etc. training material for houdini in books or dvd…. my main area of interest is dynamic simulation so any help in that field would be greatly appreciated

thanks
2199 posts
Check out the learning tab at the top of this page… there's an excellent DOP's dvd on there
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
9 posts
Thanks, I saw that, escuse me for not beeing precise enough… from I gatter from the forum there seems to be a lot of changes in the latest version, does anybody know if these dvd are still valid or has there been major changes within the simulation field of houdini?

I found one book that seems to be for version 9, Houdini On the Spot, but the dvd description don't mention their release date or perticular version of houdini they relate to

thanks!
454 posts
On the spot was written by Craig Zerouni - the guy who made the Gnomon Houdini Rigid Body Dynamics DVD - so there is a lot of good information on DOPs (Dynamics OPerators) in that book.

The simulation environment has changed in v9 with the addition of fluids, and some cosmetic UI changes mainly. The DOPs basics and RBD specific stuff described in the Gnomon DVD hasn't changed at all I don't think - and is still the best training you'll get on the main concepts in that area. I'd highly recommend the DVD in particular if you're looking to do sim work mainly, and that's assuming you've done all the basic Houdini training already. See H9 training area for the newest movies on H9.

Cheers
41 posts
So far, I've watched all the DVD's available. They all use H8 as the guide, but all of it applies to H9 as well. I've been getting back into Houdini using H9, and I find it the same, just cleaner and a little easier to use.

I highly recommend the DVD's, they are so so helpful.
~adam
41 posts
A great guy named Garman also teaches Houdini Online and in Person (TX). He has Dynamics courses among many others. http://www.vizyacky.com [vizyacky.com]
~adam
7 posts
I can vouch for Garman's Vizyacky school.

I'm not in the dynamics class yet, but I am taking the Procedural Modelling class there and the training is excellent. Garman uses H8 for the training, but as stated above, everything works in H9 as well.

Goto the vizyacky website and checkout the “Online Study Process” to get an idea of the vizyacky online process.
12 posts
Check out www.3DBUZZ.com later in August for news about a course for Houdini version 9 very similar to the Maya Fundamentals course & 3D Max Fundamentals course.
That is what I'm waiting for.
33 posts
Free 3D Buzz VTMs for Houdini 9 will be released priort the course.
74 posts
Hi,

The 3 DVD currently available at cmivfx (www.cmivfx.com) were made with H8. Fotunately, on the topics covered, there's no internal change - only “cosmetic interface changes” ( plus it looks like H9 now has the new ForEach SOP as an additional “macro” for a part of the general workflow we showed in the Procedural Modeling of Cities DVD ( it also does a lot of other things)
But we will upgrade and rerecord “old” DVDs on H9 ( you can still watch the old version when you buy the new version - cos not everybody is on H9)

Our very big upcoming VEX/VOP DVD ( in september) is recorded with H9 as will be all the new ones.
Notice that it will be then instantly available to watch in VOD. This means you will also receive upgrades or extra stuff just by loggin in ( you don't need to send your disk back and have another one).

David
135 posts
thanks for making them avalible david… looking forward to them … I will ask Chris when they are ready…….

George
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
3 posts
FrenchOP
But we will upgrade and rerecord “old” DVDs on H9 ( you can still watch the old version when you buy the new version - cos not everybody is on H9)

Just want to make sure I read that right…so this means that your current DVDs regarding LSystems are going to be re-recorded using H9 and will be re-released? I was thinking about ordering them, but if this is the case, I'll probably hold off until the new ones are available.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links