Program too big to fit in memory?

14468   13   0
3 posts
i downloaded H9 for windowsxp through the download page, however when i try to run the installer, it reprots:“Program too big to fit in memory”

the version is 9.0.653
and version 8 installer runs fine on my pc.
5 posts
I have tried on several machines with the same problem. I have also tried “run as” which spits out an error that the program can't create a file in the user/local settings/Temp directory….sure which I could check it out
7735 posts
Do you guys have administrator privileges in your login?
5 posts
yes, I have tried it at home on my workgroup and at work on a domain, all with admin privileges…the “run as” was just a shot in the dark really….I am hoping it may be a bad build but I am surprised more people aren't having this issue
7735 posts
You don't a have a setup where you're installing to a remote directory right? I've installed it on Vista 32-bit without any particular problems but this was about a month or so back.

Hmmm …. Make sure you have the complete file? How are you downloading it?
3 posts
edward
You don't a have a setup where you're installing to a remote directory right? I've installed it on Vista 32-bit without any particular problems but this was about a month or so back.

Hmmm …. Make sure you have the complete file? How are you downloading it?
from here:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&task=apprentice&Itemid=89 [sidefx.com]

about the remote path thing, that could the problem.

you see, at work all our “documents and settings/user/” is mapped to a network drive which houdini is trying to access while install?
and at home, all settings are local which is all normal setups except that i downloaded the installer at another computer and was trying to install it across the network.
anyways, nothing much i can do at the work PC, but i will try to copy the installer to the local machine then install it at home today.

i will post the result tonight. thx
5 posts
Well I do have “My Documents” stored on a separate drive but I am installing locally and everything is pretty standard windows 32 bit install. I have tried it on pentium and AMD both with 2gigs RAM
I have downloaded the file from same place mentioned above with IE, firefox, and flashgot….all with the same result. I have tried disabling virus protection and firewalls also.

The behavior I see is that a command window appears briefly then quits…..when I change the properties of the dos tab on the executable to not close on error then I can see the “too big to fit in memory” error

has anyone installed this recently with success?

Any chance of trying a different build? Current build is houdini-9.0.653-win32

thanks for the feedback and trying to help
1631 posts
It might be a good idea to check the download's MD5 and compare it to the one on the Downloads [sidefx.com] page which has the most recent builds.

You can download a MD5sum tool here [pc-tools.net].

Also, are you using Service Pack 2?

Cheers!
steven
5 posts
Ok….I am working now…thanks Steven

I did the MD5 check and the sums are different so something is busted there. However, I downloaded build houdini-9.0.677-win32 from the link you sent and that worked no problem….must be and issue in that build.

thanks for your help and tell Val that I (Justin) say hi…he is at Imageworks as a Houdini artist also. Now that I can learn Houdini I may be there myself at some point :wink:
1631 posts
You're welcome! I'll tell him when I see him.

Cheers!
steven
3 posts
still no luck for me either. can the admin of the web check 9.0.653 on the download page? i dont think the that installer is working.

also where can i download houdini-9.0.677-win32?
5 posts
follow the link on Stevens 2nd-to-last post :roll:
2 posts
Please use vim or ultraedit to remove the first line in the file you downloaded.

Obviously, the download page has outputed extra text “Trying to download 9.0 653 win32 exe <br/>”.
139 posts
pinxue
Please use vim or ultraedit to remove the first line in the file you downloaded.

Obviously, the download page has outputed extra text “Trying to download 9.0 653 win32 exe <br/>”.

Should be fixed now, thanks.
  • Quick Links