How to NOT MODIFY "Date Modified" when pointing folder/files

1562   7   1
59 posts
Hello.

I just figured out that Date Modified has suddenly changed when I select any folder(Directory) / files.
(This means, when I select any FBX files/Directories its date modified has changed to current time...omg)

This seems "only occuring on network drives", not local hard drives.

Is there any preference setting or workaround for not to modify the date-modified date?

:Environment:
Houdini 19.0.720
Windows 10 Professional

Thank you in advance,

IceCreamUmai
Edited by icecreamumai - May 23, 2023 07:57:35
59 posts
A..Anyone?
2042 posts
icecreamumai
A..Anyone?

No responses probably because the question you are asking is inherently something about the OS and not Houdini.

If I go to a file in any Windows directory(not with Houdini) and just open it and not do anything - the modified date gets changed, but the creation date stays the same.
59 posts
BabaJ
No responses probably because the question you are asking is inherently something about the OS and not Houdini.

If I go to a file in any Windows directory(not with Houdini) and just open it and not do anything - the modified date gets changed, but the creation date stays the same.

Thank you for responding, BabaJ.

I tried several approaches(opening FBX review,3dsmax,Blender),but Modified date has not been changed as usual.
(But, it is good to know that OS might be the issue. I will keep that in my mind. Thanks, BabaJ!)

I found out that, this issue seems happening only inside H19.0.720. I didn't see the issues in H19.5.493.
So using the latest 19.5.??? solved my the issues, but I felt it's a bit weird... :/

By the way, Modified Date has changed when I load the FBX file using "fbxcharacterimport node" to open the file.
Loading FBX files using "File node" updates the Modified Date as well.

This happens both FBX files which contains embedded texture and no texture FBX files.

Is there any preference options to enable/disable updating the modified date when loaded??

Or perhaps Do I have to report this to Houdini Tech People?
Edited by icecreamumai - May 30, 2023 23:44:16
2042 posts
icecreamumai
Or perhaps Do I have to report this to Houdini Tech People?
Still don't think how SideFX can change anything, that to me, is something inherently about the OS.
Again as I said, if I open a file from Windows Explorer(outside of Houdini), do nothing to that file but just close it.
It will change the modified date to when I just opened it.
59 posts
Again as I said, if I open a file from Windows Explorer(outside of Houdini), do nothing to that file but just close it.
It will change the modified date to when I just opened it.

Thanks again, BabaJ!

In my OS(Windows10Pro) and my colleagues situations(Windows11Pro), opening FBX file from explorer will not change its modified date... :/
I tried with FBX Review, opening from Blender,3dsmax none of them change its modified date.
Only Houdini 19.0.720 changes its modified date via FBX node. This does not happens in 19.5.493, 18.0.348

Once I change something then save the file, it will change the modified date though.

What OS are you using, BabaJ?
2042 posts
"What OS are you using, BabaJ? "

Win 8.1

But here's the odd thing -- I tried it again on a few files(opening and just closing txt files from win explorer),
and it no longer does what I said it did earlier (update modified date).
I tried the same on my Win 10 machine, same thing, date doesn't get modified if no changes made to file.
59 posts
BabaJ
"What OS are you using, BabaJ? "

Win 8.1

But here's the odd thing -- I tried it again on a few files(opening and just closing txt files from win explorer),
and it no longer does what I said it did earlier (update modified date).
I tried the same on my Win 10 machine, same thing, date doesn't get modified if no changes made to file.

Thanks, BabaJ for responding!

According to this Microfost's thread [answers.microsoft.com], date of its Modified Date will be changed, when you changed the file or updated the file.

But here's the odd thing -- when you open FBX file in Houdini 19.0.720 using "fbxcharacterimport node", its Modified Date got changed automatically... and it only happens in 19.0.720. Not in other versions.

This means -- When I run PDG/TOPS which reads bunch of FBX files to do something, all FBX's Modified Date got changed. This leads to a bit of confusing between my colleagues.

I already decided to use 19.5 for solution, but it seems a bit odd or a bug.

I just know that this happens only my machines or entire users...
  • Quick Links