Viewport preview inside Vellum Solver

2076   16   2
1 posts
Hello all,

This is a bit of a newbie question but I'm following some tutorials on Vellum and everyone seems to be able to preview their sims while inside a Vellum Solver. However, I can't seem to do this. When I press play the sim is just frozen on the current frame unless I go up to the top geo level.

I've tried turning various knobs in order to make it work but nothing seems to improve the situation. Can someone help as it would save me a whole bunch of button clicking?!

Thanks
DT
232 posts
meshmashuk
Hello all,

This is a bit of a newbie question but I'm following some tutorials on Vellum and everyone seems to be able to preview their sims while inside a Vellum Solver. However, I can't seem to do this. When I press play the sim is just frozen on the current frame unless I go up to the top geo level.

I've tried turning various knobs in order to make it work but nothing seems to improve the situation. Can someone help as it would save me a whole bunch of button clicking?!

Thanks
DT

I was about to report that as a bug. The issue isn't actually with the vellum solver. In houdini 20, if you create a subnet in a dopnet, the viewport won't update when inside the subnet. When you double click the vellum solver sop to go inside, it actually takes you inside a subnet in the dopnet, hence why it doesn't work. You can re-create the issue like this:

1. Create a sphere and select it
2. In the rigid body shelf on the right click RBD objects
3. Go inside the autodopnet
4. create a subnetwork
5. attach the subnetwork to the post solve of the rigidbodysolver node
6. go inside the subnet

you will notice the viewport will not update.

going to report this issue now.

update: known bug
Edited by evanrudefx - March 6, 2024 16:07:27

Attachments:
Animation.gif (10.1 MB)

Thanks,

Evan
8 posts
Hey, is this fixed? Even now at 20.0.717 it's like this for me. It's extremely frustrating!
232 posts
mike_keys
Hey, is this fixed? Even now at 20.0.717 it's like this for me. It's extremely frustrating!
no, support told me it would not be fixed until next version. kinda insane that all houdini 20 will have this bug.
Thanks,

Evan
8690 posts
As a workaround you can pin the viewport when outside of the solver
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8 posts
Yes, you can! But you don't have any visual feedback on any of the pop nodes, gas nodes, etc!
6 posts
this bug is extremely frustrating I can't believe they won't fix it, I feel it's a shame honestly however I found the only way to work and visualize pop forces is to build a dopnet with vellum solver and vellum object its so far the easiest way, pinning the viewport doesn't work you can't work with forces which makes vellum useless anyway

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-05-30 234337.png (71.6 KB)

8690 posts
Maybe you can try this build

Fixed viewer update of a SOP Solver sim when inside the solver.
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
6 posts
tamte
Maybe you can try this build

Fixed viewer update of a SOP Solver sim when inside the solver.
I've seen on the changelog clearly this update but still I'm having the same issue it's weird does it have anything to do that I install from launcher maybe?
168 posts
insane bug
269 posts
Daily Build: 20.0.758
- Fixed viewer update of DOP simulations when inside solvers.

Maybe this fix will finally do the trick.
6 posts
alexwheezy
Daily Build: 20.0.758
- Fixed viewer update of DOP simulations when inside solvers.

Maybe this fix will finally do the trick.

Hope that's it,
I'll give this build a try today this bug drove me insane on a project I was going back to 19.5 just to sim the vellum part and cache it and read it in my main project

I think we almost close to 20.5 thats what i was waiting for
368 posts
Just saying: it's insane this bug slipped its way into not just one, but two production builds. The latest production build is still broken.
Edited by kodra - July 6, 2024 19:04:00
6 posts
This is seriously some weird bug after it was resolved in H20 build 20.0.762 it came back in H20.5.278 first production build of 20.5 and now we have to live with it again in 20.5 that's so frustrating
232 posts
AAburady
This is seriously some weird bug after it was resolved in H20 build 20.0.762 it came back in H20.5.278 first production build of 20.5 and now we have to live with it again in 20.5 that's so frustrating

Yea, this is very frustrating. I reported the bug to sidefx (again). I would just say to do the same thing. This bug is really bad. It basically makes all the sop versions of solvers useless because you cant go inside and have the viewport update. Pinning the viewport isn't much help either.
Edited by evanrudefx - July 10, 2024 16:34:28
Thanks,

Evan
89 posts
Don't panic, it looks fixed in one of the daily builds.

20.5.286 Fixed viewer update of DOP simulations when inside solvers.
368 posts
Viewer is bugged again! (PANIK)

It's fixed in daily build. (KALM)

Daily build is not available! (PANIK)
  • Quick Links