Source Apply node missing?

7320   4   0
8 posts
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to houdini (not to 3d) and I'm talking a tutorial and in the tut the guy makes a “source from volume” and that automaticly makes a Source Apply node for him in the DOP. When I do it I don't get the node. I googled and I found this link… http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/dyno/fluid_sourcing [sidefx.com]

“The previous Pyro method for specifying the source volume (merging the pyro object and source volume in DOPs with a “source” relationship or using Source apply) is still available for backwards compatibility (on the Pyro solver’s Relationships tab, turn on Enable relationships). This is still useful when sourcing from simulated objects. However in most cases the new sourcing input is the preferred method for its much greater flexibility and efficiency.

The default Pyro setup copies the initial source volume into the fuel and temperature fields of the pyro object. You can use additional tools such as Expand from objects to affect other fields.

But this doesn't have the options the apply_source had, for instance, the noise tab isn't even there.

Where can I find this? Any help would be great.

Thanks.
スタッフ
6201 posts
The source apply node has been hidden. You can still put it down with the opadd command, but it is not a recommended workflow anymore.

With Houdini 12 we moved most of the settings out of DOPs and into SOPs. So the noise options are now found in the SOP network. This may seem at first a strange decision as you have a distant location to set it. But having sources defined in SOPs means they do not have to be cooked in serial order. This lets you scrub the playbar watching the noise of your source to see how it will perform over the entire animation, rather than finding out after an hour long sim that your noise has a distracting pulse built into it. It also makes it straightforward to cache the source and to modify it.
8 posts
Ah, nice I see now, thanks a lot for the help.
55 posts
Hi, vakwante & jlait

I am having the same problem finding the Source Apply node. I understand that the node has been hidden and the workflow has been improved for better efficiency, which makes total sense to me.

So I am actually looking for are tabs for SDF, noise, vortex confinement…etc., and I can't find anything in SOPs so I wonder if you know where I should take a look?

I have attached a simple scene for your reference. What I am learning is to create basic smoke at the moment.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

David

Attachments:
davidave_smoke_01.hipnc (625.0 KB)

4 posts
jlait
The source apply node has been hidden. You can still put it down with the opadd command, but it is not a recommended workflow anymore.

….but the “Attract Fluid” shelf button makes one. How is it “no the recommended workflow” if your own “attract fluid” button can't work without it?
  • Quick Links