Floating pieces in RBD sim

4788   6   1
16 posts
Hi there,

I'm working on a scene in which there is a tower and it is destroyed by a fireball. It has inside some wood pieces used for the floors and ceilings. The problem is that everything collapses some of the wood pieces remeain floating and spinning in the air like they are trapped in a sort of invisible spider web and can't fall.

The first thing I thought was obviously the constraints! But this happens even without the constraints in the DOP. I'm using RBD packed objects for the building and the wood pieces and a Bullet Solver.

Unfortunately, I can't share the file. I know it's hard for you to understand what the problem can be, but I hope some of you exprienced this issue before.

Attached you can find some pics showing the floating pieces. Let me know if you need more info!

Thanks.

Attachments:
2.jpg (226.8 KB)
Inked1_LI.jpg (885.2 KB)

1 posts
Hey AlbusNolente, I am having the same issue… Did you find out why the pieces were flying?

greets
833 posts
Same here….it's a pain!
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
33 posts
It might be caused by the collision padding being too high. Possibly?
(RBD Packed Object > Bullet Data)
101 posts
Having the same issue in the current version of Houdini with the updated RBD Bullet Solver. I've tried decreasing the collision padding along with lowering the linear and angular thresholds. I've still got a rather large piece that just floats in my sim even though it's activated and not sleeping. There's no constraints on it either. Curious. Scratching my head on this one. Any suggestions?
スタッフ
356 posts
If anyone can share a hip file that shows the problem, it'd be greatly appreciated!
1 posts
I have the same problem, this was the solution. This happend when some piece have the same name than other, so they react like a one single piece even if they are saparetad by a long distance. Check names from fractured pieces and clusters! if you are combined multiple fractured object some of those pieces probably have the same name of fractured piece or cluster. You have to name every single piece diferently. We always are focused on fracture looks and ignore the names and properties things! Cheers
  • Quick Links