How to export Vellum particle sim into alembic simulation?

1811   3   0
6 posts
Hey guys I am a relatively new Houdini user and just wrapped my head around setting up basic sims with Vellum. and followed this awesome abstract particle tutorial by entagma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPVW0vK6PE&t=394s [www.youtube.com]

I am having trouble exporting a Vellum grain spheres simulation to alembic for use in another 3D package. It appears only the points are being exported.

What are is the method/nodes required to export the entire animation of spheres?
project file attached

thank you,

Attachments:
Vellum particle sphere 04.hiplc (948.1 KB)

417 posts
It depends on the DCC that you are usually exporting to, some just accept pts with attrib other everything needs to bake in, etc.
So what DCC are you trying to export to?
6 posts
Thanks for your response sepu, I was testing out CINEMA4D and Keyshot in this case. two DCC's which usually have decent alembic support. How would I go about exporting for those two packages?

cheers
417 posts
I do not use any of them. I believe c4d should support alembic data just fine. To have the spheres (polys), you need to use a copy to points. However, that might get super heavy depending on how many points you are dealing with. You probably need to unpack as well to go into c4d if they are packed.

A better choice is to use the pts and then use whatever you need to use to instance sphere to the points in C4d, I guess using a cloner or something similar, or use the procedural to render points of your render of choice if they have one (which it will be the best/fastest option).
  • Quick Links