Can the Floating gnomon be scaled bigger?

5770   34   5
180 posts
I'm really hoping H20 will show some improvement in UI design and usability, I really am. Is a scalable and improved gnomon such a big ask?
7770 posts
ajz3d
Okay, so I'm on 19.5.752 now, and the floating gnomon is just as tiny as it was before version 19.5.731. That's with 2560x1440 and "Global UI Scale" set to 1.2, which I'm comfortable with. Is there some hidden setting for this gnomon that I'm not aware of?

Edit: Added corpus delicti.

Every build they scale it down by 0.99 as a joke to see how long it will take before people notice.
466 posts
And then one day, when it finally reaches one pixel in size, we will read in the changelog that floating gnomon was effectively removed because nobody was using it.
180 posts
H20 - and from the Sneak Peak it looks like they've still not fixed the damn thing!
"How many developers does it take to fix the gnomon?" Suggestions on a postcard please... : )
12 posts
Not even sure what is more irritating TBH. The useless super tiny gnomon or the fact that you can't interact with gnomon to quickly change the view. In most 3D editors each gnomon axis and the centre have clickable handles to quickly jump between top/left/front/right/perspective views. Missing this badly
466 posts
We're now well into 2024. Will I still need to use a magnifying glass to inspect the floating gnomon?
Edited by ajz3d - 2024年1月12日 12:15:49
12 posts
Abandon hope all ye who enter here ...

Forget it. Who needs gnomons? Gnomons are for plebs. I bet the whole team is busy hooking in generative AI or something. Shooting for the stars
4515 posts
voidcoder
Not even sure what is more irritating TBH. The useless super tiny gnomon or the fact that you can't interact with gnomon to quickly change the view. In most 3D editors each gnomon axis and the centre have clickable handles to quickly jump between top/left/front/right/perspective views. Missing this badly

I think it's possible to do this with Qt but it would be a lot of work.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
466 posts
Edited by ajz3d - 2024年1月12日 18:26:39

Attachments:
state_of_floating_gnomon.png (81.0 KB)

620 posts
ajz3d
What version?
466 posts
jerry7
ajz3d
What version?
I'm currently on the most recent production build, which is 20.0.547, and the floating gnomon is still barely visible for a human eye. The floating gnomon wasn't designed for humans, that's what I can tell you for sure.
Edited by ajz3d - 2024年1月12日 18:45:29
466 posts
I've made an interesting discovery today. It turns out that we can affect floating gnomon size in Display Options by turning off Guides → Guide sizes → Auto DPI Scale and then ramping up the scale to a much larger value.

The caveat is that it affects other guides, or from what I've observed, at least point guides and wireframe thickness. The former can be fixed by scaling down Point marker size from the same section of Display Options. As for the latter, I have no idea how to make the wireframe thinner.

So there you go. Still broken.
Edited by ajz3d - 2024年1月13日 15:53:17
74 posts
Yes this is ridiculous, at least this thread made me laugh.
3 posts
ajz3d
I've made an interesting discovery today. It turns out that we can affect floating gnomon size in Display Options by turning off Guides → Guide sizes → Auto DPI Scale and then ramping up the scale to a much larger value.

The caveat is that it affects other guides, or from what I've observed, at least point guides and wireframe thickness. The former can be fixed by scaling down Point marker size from the same section of Display Options. As for the latter, I have no idea how to make the wireframe thinner.

So there you go. Still broken.

Thank you you saved the day. The wireframe can be thinned in Display > Geometry > Wireframe > Wire Width
Edited by Tetsuoo - 2024年4月24日 02:39:18
https://www.artstation.com/tetsuoo [www.artstation.com]
237 posts
Is this seriously still not fixed? How hard is it to have a simple gnomon scaling option?
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
  • Quick Links