Can the Floating gnomon be scaled bigger?

5780   34   5
44 posts
So I've always had a problem with the floating gnomon in the viewport – it's so small that it's not properly visible. I've always wondered if this can be made larger, but have never found a pref or setting for this. Is this possible? As I say, at the moment it's so small that it's not actually properly visible.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 06.12.37.png (30.3 KB)

7770 posts
yeah, I noticed it's very small in the current version too. It seems to have gotten smaller since 18.5
180 posts
Please file an RFE for this! Please. That will make at least two of us : )

IMHO there are a few problems with the floating gnomon - which is really important for view orientation:

1. Visibility - size:
Too small. A scaling preference would be ideal.

2. Visibility - visual conflicts:
The gnomon is sometimes completely covered by the viewport tips / prompt text. The gnomon viewport space should be reserved to prevent this. It would also be helpful to occlude any reference or construction gridlines that run directly behind it.

3. Visibility - colour:
The '100% RGB green' for the Y axis is barely visible against the light background. The Z axis blue is barely visible against the dark background. Perhaps there should be some neutral circular background element (user preference for density) to enable all axis colours to be easily seen.

Other than that - it's great!
Edited by Mike_A - 2022年12月10日 04:43:50
331 posts
Mike_A
The gnomon is sometimes completely covered by the viewport tips / prompt text. The gnomon viewport space should be reserved to prevent this. It would also be helpful to occlude any reference or construction gridlines that run directly behind it.

You can work around this by moving the messages to the Status Bar. This is probably the first thing I do on a fresh Houdini install because I hate the overlap.

Edited by eikonoklastes - 2022年12月11日 03:28:09
180 posts
Yes - I have tried that option previously. I just prefer them in the Viewport so that they are nearer my 'main view'. I think if Sidefx offer a 'Viewport' option - it should 'work'.
Edited by Mike_A - 2022年12月11日 14:43:57
7770 posts
eikonoklastes
Mike_A

You can work around this by moving the messages to the Status Bar. This is probably the first thing I do on a fresh Houdini install because I hate the overlap.

might as well not have them at all
331 posts
jsmack
Why?
237 posts
I prefer them in the status bar, less visual clutter in the viewport.
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
7770 posts
eikonoklastes
jsmack
Why?

The text in the status bar is so far away from the viewport that it would be missed information to put it there. It's also only one line.
331 posts
jsmack
The text in the status bar is so far away from the viewport that it would be missed information to put it there. It's also only one line.
I haven't faced either of these issues. The status bar is literally about a centimetre lower than the bottom of a maximised viewport (less with a collapsed playbar).

Also, I enabled the preference, so I know to look at the status bar for the info.

It being one line has made no difference to the amount of information it gives you.

Whatever perceived disadvantages there are to this, I greatly prefer it over the text overlapping viewport UI.
12 posts
Hi. Resurrecting an old topic. Any solution to microscopic gnomon? It is practically unusable as is. I can't really tell the axis direction by looking at it

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 18.52.08.png (1.4 MB)

4515 posts
voidcoder
Hi. Resurrecting an old topic. Any solution to microscopic gnomon? It is practically unusable as is. I can't really tell the axis direction by looking at it

There is an RFE on this issue: #128469. Feel free to bump it up. The more people reference it, the more likely SESI will fix it.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
スタッフ
467 posts
In 19.5.731, it now respects the set UI scale.
Edited by johnmather - 2023年9月6日 17:37:19
12 posts
Thanks John!

So is it going to be large now, comparable to other 3D modelling tools like Blender, Unreal etc?

In an ideal world there would be a settings option to scale HUD elements per user preference.
Edited by voidcoder - 2023年9月7日 06:18:01
スタッフ
467 posts
It won't be large - it will just be a consistent size relative to all of the other UI components that respect the UI scale factor.
466 posts
Fantastic! Can't wait for the next production build.
1 posts
I prefer them in the status bar, less visual clutter in the viewport.
krnl download [krnl.fun]
hdstreamz.uno [hdstreamz.uno]
Edited by playzoffs - 2023年11月16日 05:27:23
12 posts
The whole point of gnomon is to help you understand the current orientation in 3d viewport. TBH I still can't quite understand SideFX fixation on it being tiny, whether it is scaled proportionally with the rest of UI or not ...

Many 3D apps will have the gnomon and other HUD element sizes configurable in settings as per user liking. If you check any other 3D software the default gnomon size is usually rather large to the point that it is actually useful. E.g. here the default size in Blender:

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 16.08.35.png (201.1 KB)

3 posts
On the one hand, one has become accustomed to the fact that they are located in the status bar, on the other hand, in my opinion, it is an interesting solution and convenience, it is good that such an option was introduced. Especially since it was a suggestion and comment that had been made by many people for a long time and was, in a way, expected.
Edited by BillTarner - 2024年2月24日 04:09:54
466 posts
Okay, so I'm on 19.5.752 now, and the floating gnomon is just as tiny as it was before version 19.5.731. That's with 2560x1440 and "Global UI Scale" set to 1.2, which I'm comfortable with. Is there some hidden setting for this gnomon that I'm not aware of?

Edit: Added corpus delicti.
Edited by ajz3d - 2023年10月15日 14:38:38

Attachments:
floating_gnomon.png (15.3 KB)

• Quick Links