Karma XPU (H20) vs Redshift

11075   36   12
604 posts
After watching the H20 Hive…Solaris is looking rather attractive. There’s a lot more Pro’s than Con’s now, in terms of the technical hurdles that USD brings along with it.

SideFX has poured a ton of features into Solaris (that either dont exist, or have a lesser equivalent in SOPs).
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
102 posts
eikonoklastes
I am pretty much a solo guy myself and have been using Solaris for my work for over a year now, and I will never want to use the traditional workflow again.

Could you explain what is the benefit of Solaris for you ? I still can’t perceive it as anything other than the fifth wheel in the car.
41 posts
HGaal
eikonoklastes
I am pretty much a solo guy myself and have been using Solaris for my work for over a year now, and I will never want to use the traditional workflow again.

Could you explain what is the benefit of Solaris for you ? I still can’t perceive it as anything other than the fifth wheel in the car.
What I noticed during my very limited time of using Solaris was how effective it was to separate shot based lighting and render settings.

For two different shots or more, you can create own branch of lighting setups without having to turn on or off camera angle specific lights per shot with very visually easy way.
33 posts
I got disappointed over the last 2 years with redshift's overall performance. Switched back to Octane which runs pretty stable so far. Plus it's got pretty much all the features needed now (light linking, area light spread, standard surface, aov system) for my solo freelance projects - not really missing anything from rs. I also liked the Octane look a bit better than rs anyway. And there's still Karma if needed.
22 posts
What about Redshift in Solaris? Anyone use it in there.
16 posts
back to using Octane as well in Houdini.
126 posts
Does anyone have performance comparisons? How does Karma XPU stand relative to Redshift, Octane or Cycles in terms of speed?
Edited by aeaeaeae - 2023年12月7日 04:48:15
127 posts
JalexM
What about Redshift in Solaris? Anyone use it in there.

At the studio I work we have been using it in full production for around a year and works great, Have of course been some bugs along the way. But the Redshift Houdini developer is fast to fix it when reported.

Redshift will become sluggish to update changes if the scene becomes heavy compared to Karma tho.
54 posts
BTW. Is there set of scene files with few examples from Karma XPU? With Proper settings for lights, materials and render settings? Id love to play with ready to test examples so i can check how fast it is on my old machine. I still learning so i don't know how to setup it in Solaris myself (yet)

Id love to see more advanced scene files for each key element. Like it was with 3Ds MAX. Even reading help file wasn't needed back then
16 posts
does Redshift work with Houdini 20 docs say only 19.5
604 posts
dreamblk
does Redshift work with Houdini 20 docs say only 19.5

Yes, H20 support has been there the entire time, even during H20 Beta.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
スタッフ
4164 posts
oldteapot7
Id love to see more advanced scene files for each key element. Like it was with 3Ds MAX. Even reading help file wasn't needed back then

These aren't necessarily XPU specific, but most/all of them should give the same result with either engine:

Alluding to other packages examples is nice to know, but not having the same access/experience with 3DS Max it's hard to know what you mean. If you have some concrete, specific examples/links that'd be helpful (whether shared here, or even better, as an RFE we can share with docs/education teams).
I'm o.d.d.
620 posts
I want to know why the bubble warp example is so slow in karma (about 30 mins). It only takes several minutes in RS.

Attachments:
rs.png (3.3 MB)

238 posts
jerry7
I want to know why the bubble warp example is so slow in karma (about 30 mins). It only takes several minutes in RS.

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/92976/ [www.sidefx.com]
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/93004/ [www.sidefx.com]
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
1 posts
I found that when Houdini is started with redshift, redshift will detect all your hard drives, including when you use file cache, it will also frequently detect all hard drives, and you can hear sound from the hard drives, which is not a good thing for the hard drives
6 posts
JuhaT
HGaal
eikonoklastes

What I noticed during my very limited time of using Solaris was how effective it was to separate shot based lighting and render settings.

For two different shots or more, you can create own branch of lighting setups without having to turn on or off camera angle specific lights per shot with very visually easy way.

Just imagining how you navigate and manipulate data with the advantage of nodes system in sop, while you are dealing with prims, cams,lights,materials etc of a scene just like prims, points,vetercies etc of a geo, and what can you do in obj?
6 posts
jerry7
I found this as well, there is nothing fancy and it's unnecessarily slow.The eagle scene is decently good looking and fast tho.
  • Quick Links