Karma Gold . pyro geo light

1078   8   2
6 posts
Hi, i'm new here

has someone have experrice about karma?

i can't set pyro to geo light , even pyro fire doesn't affect GI to another pyro ( like smoke ),as you can see in the picture, the light affects smoke but the fire doesn't.

i shoud say i used karma pyro material which sets pyro shader in geo light even i used render geometry setting in LOP for active geo light , but none of them worked.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-09 143530.png (845.1 KB)

2537 posts
Couldn't you convert the pyro VDB to a mesh, use that as your geo light, but not render the geometry?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
6 posts
Enivob
Couldn't you convert the pyro VDB to a mesh, use that as your geo light, but not render the geometry?
i can , but i was looking for feature like Geo Light in Mantra, because it doesn't need to extra process like convert pyro to mesh for getting it to geo light.
also i am wondered why they put ' karma material properties' in the karma pyro shader and they turned on ' treat as light source ' If it does not work at all.
8554 posts
it works for me out of the box in Karma CPU, so more or less equivalent to Mantra as you mentioned

for XPU treat as light property on volume geometry or material doesn't seem to have any effect, but you can increase Volume Limit to 1+ to at least get bruteforce GI on volumes
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
336 posts
I've noticed the the same thing: Karma XPU ignores Treat As light Source settings but it works as expected in CPU. I guess this is more a question for SideFX, are there plans to implement this in XPU, or is this just a limitation of the GPU engine?
Edited by AndyW - 2024年3月8日 20:44:55
9 posts
use "Render Geometry settings" node and enable "Light->Treat As Light Source"
336 posts
Works in Karma CPU, not in XPU.
スタッフ
425 posts
Volume geometry lights aren't supported in XPU (https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/karma_xpu.html [www.sidefx.com] see 'Lighting' section for more detail)
193 posts
The question is not is it supported, the question is will it be and if so not why not.
  • Quick Links