Indie/Commercial Licensing issues

3481   10   2
27 posts
I have an indie license on my workstation for my private projects and testing purposes.
For Commercial work i switch to another license server to obtain a full commercial license (hserver -S xxxxx).
In the past (till 17.5) this worked flawlessly, now (18.0.499 and 460) i get some strange behavior. Houdini is mixing up the licensing somehow.
I start commercial (FX or core, tested both).
Server showing that i checked out a license. Houdini Info and title showing FX/core, not indie.
But in the viewport i see the “indie Edition” label in the bottom right corner.
I can save hip and hiplc files, but cannot load the hip files.
Any clue whats wrong here, it's currently mixing up my commercial scenes.
Edited by beezle - 2020年7月15日 04:29:32

Attachments:
2020-07-15 08_42_43-untitled.hip - Houdini FX 18.0.499.png (123.6 KB)
2020-07-15 08_43_56-untitled.hip - Houdini FX 18.0.499.jpg (47.6 KB)

スタッフ
175 posts
Hi beezle,

It almost looks like your initial checkout is done to the correct server and then once you enter Houdini the program downgrades itself to indie. Once Houdini downgrades to indie is the license diagnostic still pointing to the correct server? Another thing to check is if your local server is running while trying to connect to the commercial license server.

Cheers,
Matt Warner
Software Developer - Licensing
SideFX
27 posts
Ok i shutdown my local license server (sesinetd) restarted hserver but the only thing that happens is that houdini now shows non-commercial instead of indie.
same as before. I can save .hip files, can't open them. When i press ctrl+s after saved to .hip it switches automagicly to .hipnc.

License Administrator shows the lic in use.

any clue what could cause houdini to downgrade while running?
the network connection ist stable
as mentioned this worked super flawlessly till i updated to h18
the only thing thats new and i don't understand is the ipmask error icon, but i can't get more info from it?
no obvious errors in the diagnostic.
Edited by beezle - 2020年7月15日 11:25:18

Attachments:
2020-07-15 17_14_00-User List for licenses.jpg (10.3 KB)

27 posts
ok i double checked. i can't save hip files, they just have the hip. extension but are in fact hiplc files that can't be openened by commercial houdini.
スタッフ
175 posts
Hi beezle,

I would suggest emailing into support as this seems to be a more complex issue. At first glance it does in fact look like Houdini is somehow being downgraded for no reason. The ip mask error in hkey could be a false positive that may need a separate bug report.

Cheers,
Matt Warner
SideFX
27 posts
Thank you!
I'll check with our server/license admin to contact support.
7 posts
beezle
Thank you!
I'll check with our server/license admin to contact support.

Hello, was just wondering if you ever managed to solve this? Having the same issue here.
28 posts
I've just started having this same issue this morning, was this ever resolved?

We have the Houdini Core licence, which seems to be connecting fine through the Licence Administrator, but when I run Houdini Core, I'm pushed into IndieEdition and cant open any of my hip files.

The licence server is off-site from my location, so I have not tested restarting that.

A colleague of mine was able to test on his end and he does not get the IndieEdition watermark/hip file errors.

Please assist as I have been unable to work today.
Edited by Alex Amos - 2021年2月22日 04:42:57
スタッフ
175 posts
As far as I am aware this issue has been solved. In your case it sounds like something is downgrading your session (i.e. an indie asset being loaded). I would suggest contacting support if you are still having an issue.

Cheers,
Matt Warner
SideFX
27 posts
Sorry for the late answer, but maybe it still helps.
The solution on my side was a plugin/addon that was added/loaded through my packages to my houdini_path variable (I only found out later by accident). In this addon/otl folder were a few hdalc assets that secretly downgraded my houdini session.
I think the main issue was/is that houdini is showing the normal splash and not showing any message about the downgrade when it's downgrading because of scanned otls? For me it was even more complicated because i used a custom project manager which saved the files by script command and named the .hiplc file .hip. So when I realized that all my "hip" files are actually lc, i already worked quite a while on the project.
Cheers,

Heiko
Edited by beezle - 2021年2月26日 10:34:23
5 posts
beezle
The solution on my side was a plugin/addon that was added/loaded through my packages to my houdini_path variable

Thanks so much for following up! You saved me a lot of trouble!
  • Quick Links