WIP - TurnTable Object Node [Houdini Utility]

15192   13   6
19 posts

HDA Now Available!
Your feedback is precious to develop the better experience possible. More in the next post.

Description
• Create Turntable Setup for Look dev.
• Chrome / Matte Ball Overlay on camera or free stand.
• Rotate Model / Lights / Cameras

Features
• Rotation
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Model, Camera, or Light just by connecting the node to it.
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- 360° Rotation based on playbar's frame range.
• Spheres Layout:
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Compact: Chrome / Matte Ball side by side
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Vertical: Chrome / Matte Ball above the other
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Realistic: Chrome / Matte Ball with Stand asset.
• Transform:
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Compact / Vertical: Position left / right, rotation and scale
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Realistic: Transform / Rotation / Scale
• Color Chart: Optional Color chart
• Backplate
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Procedural Backplate
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Created only on-camera frustum, avoiding blocking light.
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Backplate from any angle
• Shading:
‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎- Materials assignment for the asset (balls, chart, stand, and backplate)

Use Cases
• Create quick turntable
• Avoid recreating setup each time
• No need for a dedicated scene.
Edited by JohnFanny - 2021年9月28日 21:25:40

Attachments:
layouts.PNG (1.0 MB)
demo_backplate.gif (713.5 KB)
demo_overlay_quick.gif (6.4 MB)
rotation_demo_.gif (6.5 MB)
help_small.PNG (34.3 KB)

John Fanny | Fx Apprentice
19 posts
Explainer Video
A quick demo of the features of the node.

HDA Now Available!
Your feedback is precious to develop the better experience possible.
Edited by JohnFanny - 2021年9月27日 18:50:53

Attachments:
turntable__0_11.hdalc (139.6 KB)

1 posts
Hi! I am trying to use your HDA but had a question. The realisting option in the parameters makes everything dissapears, maybe because the file is missing, so are the textures and this file somewhere?

Or its something I have to click on and I missed it?

Thank you!
19 posts
Ruthie
Hi! I am trying to use your HDA but had a question. The realisting option in the parameters makes everything dissapears, maybe because the file is missing, so are the textures and this file somewhere?

Or its something I have to click on and I missed it?

Thank you!

Hi Ruthie! Thanks for your feedback!
You were right, there was a missing reference.
Here is the updated version, feel free to give it a try!
Edited by JohnFanny - 2021年11月21日 06:32:39

Attachments:
turntable__0_12.hdalc (149.5 KB)

375 posts
Very nice thanks. Is this part of Sidefx labs?
Houdini gamboler
375 posts
Is it possible to get help on this? The stand does not appear, neither its textures. Where is the material library? The Turntable camera is difficult to operate, does not work like in the video.
Houdini gamboler
19 posts
Hey Grendizer, thanks a lot for testing the tool!
Unfortunately, the tool is not in Labs.

I fixed some issues in the next version of the tool, you can find it here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oNem-N-K4DjjsfXFuZ2bNBFP3CbrqkTb?usp=sharing [drive.google.com]

Concerning your questions:
- The tool doesn't have textures,
- The material library is available with the search icon in the shaders section,
However, you can assign your own shaders to the geometry.
- The camera from the tool is not made for use, you just have to plug the tool into your actual camera.
You can refer to this video: https://youtu.be/cEmrvDDTQPw [youtu.be]

Thanks again for your feedback! Give it a try and tell me if it's working properly!
Edited by JohnFanny - 2022年7月23日 13:11:12
375 posts
Thanks John for this update.
I just had the time to start to test it. Some functions seem broken like : when I connect a camera to the Output of the TurnTable_v_0_13 node, the camera doesn't turn around the scene.
See ya,
Gz
Houdini gamboler
375 posts
Ok the problem was on my side! This seems to be the cause of the problem: I had renamed the Turntable node to something else. Now that I reverted the name to "TurnTable1", all is fine!

See you soon!!
Houdini gamboler
2 posts
Hi!
This looks awesome and makes it so simple!
I am a bit of a newbie to Houdini, I managed to open up the scene with it in but how would I go about importing it into my scene with everything setup?
375 posts
Copy the file into the HDA folder of your project. Then go to menu Assets > install asset library > pick the hda file
Houdini gamboler
19 posts
Wow! Thanks a lot Grendizer! You were quicker than me!
1 posts
Excellent work! Sorry that I can't get the realistic stand.Do you mind you share your lookDev_ref.abc? So that we can reference it into the HDA.Thanks a lot!
375 posts
Hello John
I just finished testing your latest version : v1.5. I didn't notice any issue with it. Some comments :
- Previously, the /obj level node had to be called "TurnTable1", one could not rename it. This seems to be fixed in v1.5!
- The object will turn in an anti-clockwise direction. Is it possible to add a Clockwise rotation?

The first post does not have any link to the file. Do you mind if I add a link to your Google drive here? So other people can download and test it!
Thanks!
Gz
Houdini gamboler
  • Quick Links