Debian 10 vs Windows 11 (huge performance difference)

5382   11   1
85 posts
well i have 3900X ryzen and yesterday i want to install new OS and i decided to check the performance between debian 10 and windows 11 to know which OS to install and when i see the result my eyes comes out from their place when i compare karma in solaris with the demo files from sidefx in houdini 19.

in debian 10 (1:47 min) :

in windows 11 pro (3:31 min):

and i never touch the scene configuration i just open it and render it in karma solaris

i know their is a 15%-20% difference between linux and windows but not almost 50% .

and i test it 4 times just to be sure in different scenes and in karma CPU its always the same performance differences

anyone have that issue also?
Edited by habernir - 2021年11月2日 03:18:10

Attachments:
60f191a4-cb7d-4ffa-96ff-c1e34ad63128.jfif (56.2 KB)
754f55c0-d5e0-4327-b7b4-317693fd0d06.jfif (52.3 KB)

94 posts
Unfortunately, I can't switch to Linux because of Zbrush and Adobe ecosystem. But recently I had a weird thought, what if to get threadripper 32-64 cpu, install Debian with HQueue server for simulations and rendering, and run virtual guest machine over it with Windows and Houdini for working.
Edited by Faitel - 2021年11月2日 06:29:03
1621 posts
habernir
i decided to check the performance between debian 10 and windows 11

There's currently a massive problem with AMD Ryzen CPUs on Windows11 (it's a bit like back when the threadrippers 2990wx and Windows10 didn't like each other).
It's a combination of a Windows 11 scheduler bug and also L3 cache issue. This is also nothing that SideFX can do anything about, you will have to wait until Microsoft fixes its system.

If you're still in the setup phase, you might try if Windows10 works better for you (it should).
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
85 posts
protozoan
habernir
i decided to check the performance between debian 10 and windows 11

There's currently a massive problem with AMD Ryzen CPUs on Windows11 (it's a bit like back when the threadrippers 2990wx and Windows10 didn't like each other).
It's a combination of a Windows 11 scheduler bug and also L3 cache issue. This is also nothing that SideFX can do anything about, you will have to wait until Microsoft fixes its system.

If you're still in the setup phase, you might try if Windows10 works better for you (it should).

its happen even after i updated windows 11 and install the latest chipset drivers from AMD (and they write that it sould fixed it by update windows 11 and install the latest drivers)
soo may be they still doesn't fix it or its a bug in houdini 19
Edited by habernir - 2021年11月2日 11:17:06
273 posts
Just to add - Windows 11 isn't yet supported: https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements [www.sidefx.com]
918 posts
Adding to this…

I'm seeing around 100% performance gains on Mint Linux 19 vs. Win10 for Threadripper 1920X machines. Both on the network rendering the ALab. Linux 20mins, Windows 40mins.
7771 posts
Andy_23
Adding to this…

I'm seeing around 100% performance gains on Mint Linux 19 vs. Win10 for Threadripper 1920X machines. Both on the network rendering the ALab. Linux 20mins, Windows 40mins.

Is this related to the texture file handle bug that was supposed to be fixed? Have you tried with a scene that uses RAT textures? What version of Houdini are you testing? I remember there was an issue reported a little while back that showed massive performance differences between windows and linux when textures were involved, but I believe it was fixed.
918 posts
Hey jsmack, the tests I ran was with the ALab scene. I have yet to have luck with the modify path LOP to have it load the .rats instead of the .jpgs and .pngs It's the 19.0.383 build.

Do you have a tip?
Edited by Andy_23 - 2021年11月4日 17:57:46
918 posts
So I've searched and replaced the USD files on disk and the JPGs are now loaded as RATs. This didn't have an effect on the render time.
250 posts
How about XPU on Linux Mint, I love Linux Mint, but I always had trouble with graphics cards drivers!
2 posts
That's definitely a big performance difference between Debian 10 and Windows 11! I'm not surprised that you were shocked when you saw the results. It's interesting that you're seeing such a significant performance difference between the two operating systems, especially when you're comparing Karma in Solaris with the demo files from Sidefx in Houdini 19.
It's true that there is usually a difference in performance between Linux and Windows, but a difference of almost 50% is definitely unusual. It's possible that there's something specific about your system that's causing this issue.
Consider running more benchmark tests using more software and applications to gather more data.
Also, if you are looking for a bit more control over the performance of Windows 11, you could consider purchasing Win 11 Pro keys [mylegitkeys.com] which might have more options for performance optimization, or looking into other Windows 11 versions.
Edited by franceswarren - 2023年1月13日 11:38:10
311 posts
Windows is a user friendly platform. However, at work we can run minimal Debian (or other small footprint distributions of Linux+GNU software) machines as VM:s quite easily without almost any resources. As soon as we want to run anything Windows we will need to double up hardware or more. This is because Windows has a lot of things going on simply to be more user friendly.

If you are using Windows maybe take a look at tools that will remove or disable processes that you do not need. For example, if your system run many threads simultaneously it will also disturb the CPU:s caching feature (IRQ:s and threading). Long ago, when Windows was my only OS for a while there existed various "hackish" tools that would disable unwanted processes. Today, I have no idea what they are called.

For rendering, in an ideal system, the CPU:s and GPU:s are only bothered with rendering and can fully utilize optimization features. With Linux/GNU versions usually you have the option to only install as few background processes as you desire. However, I've also seen some variants that are a bit "data" heavy by default.

Although I'm quite biased towards Linux+GNU probably for a larger VFX house I think having Windows workstations plus Linux+GNU renderfarms is probably what will work for artists. As for me I do not believe in running a VM for a workstation, because you loose some valuable performance and might get some issues with GPU passthrough. (maybe multiple GPU:s could solve that)

There are those who use Win+Linux on two separate machines as a standard approach. It is possible to VNC between them also, for example TurboVNC+VirtualGL will work with Houdini for free (and it is very good, however the server is only supported on Linux and OSX, but the client exist for WIN/OSX/Linux).
Edited by SWest - 2023年1月11日 16:59:47
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
  • Quick Links