Unable to create new UE5 project with HoudiniEngine plugin

7807   2   3
5 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to run the just released UnrealEngine 5.0 with latest HoudiniEngine plugin, which comes as a prebuilt plugin in Houdini 19.0.581. Creating a new UE5 blueprint project works fine, but when I'm creating a C++ UE5 project the process fails with this error message:

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_5.0/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe Development Win64 -Project="C:/Projects/Fresh/Fresh.uproject" -TargetType=Editor -Progress -NoEngineChanges -NoHotReloadFromIDE
Log file: C:\Users\biegu\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log.txt
Creating makefile for FreshEditor (no existing makefile)
ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'HoudiniEngine' in UE5Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.

The same error is present in my existing UE5 C++ projects when I try to compile them from the IDE while the HoudiniPlugin is added to the UE5 engine. Removing HoudiniEngine from
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Plugins\Runtime
makes the project compile again.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install UE5
2. Install Houdini 19.0.581
3. Copy C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini Engine\Unreal\19.0.498\5.0\HoudiniEngine to C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine
4. Launch UE5 and create a new C++ project
Edited by martinrocker - 2022年4月6日 15:59:21

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-04-06 215245.png (54.2 KB)

1 posts
Hello,

I was able to resolved the same issue by moving the Houdini plugin from the Engine to my project plugins.
1 posts
martinrocker
Hi,

I'm trying to run the just released UnrealEngine 5.0 with latest HoudiniEngine plugin, which comes as a prebuilt plugin in Houdini 19.0.581. Creating a new UE5 blueprint project works fine, but when I'm creating a C++ UE5 project the process fails with this error message:

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_5.0/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe Development Win64 -Project="C:/Projects/Fresh/Fresh.uproject" -TargetType=Editor -Progress -NoEngineChanges -NoHotReloadFromIDE
Log file: C:\Users\biegu\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log.txt
Creating makefile for FreshEditor (no existing makefile)
ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'HoudiniEngine' in UE5Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.

The same error is present in my existing UE5 C++ projects when I try to compile them from the IDE while the HoudiniPlugin is added to the UE5 engine. Removing HoudiniEngine from
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Plugins\Runtime
makes the project compile again.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install UE5
2. Install Houdini 19.0.581
3. Copy C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini Engine\Unreal\19.0.498\5.0\HoudiniEngine to C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine
4. Launch UE5 and create a new C++ project

This is a commmon issue with any plugin you install it into the engine plugin directory, all you just need to do is open ur HoudiniEngine.uplugin file and change this property "EnabledByDefault" : false
and save it

it should work perfect
Cheers
  • Quick Links