Downloaded it, sure would like to RUN it

3555   4   2
9 posts
The license server is apparently down (?)

I downloaded Houdini, installed it, but can't run it without a license, which I gathered is “free” for “apprentice.”

All I get are errors, saying “try again later.” It gave a site to get a license key “manually,” but I get a similar error there (license server temporarily unavailable.)

If the license server is down, why send people on a wild goose chase? Am I stuck or out of luck? Shall I just go back to Lightwave? Is the world ending before 2012?

:?:
DrStrik9
Crash-bang software explorer
Mac OS X 10.6.6, 64-bit, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 10 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30“ Display: 2650x1600, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, 24” display: 1920x1200
330 posts
Hi. I haven't heard of this happening before, give them some time I'm sure it will be sorted out soon.

Maybe watch some of Peter Quint's video tutorials on Vimeo while you are waiting 8)
9 posts
It's my curse to discover all the worst parts and weakest points of a developer or their product, right out of the gate. It happens over and over again. But because of my curse, I've found the patience to wait a little, and see what else is revealed. :-) Sometimes it's good … other times …

I can't imagine they could go long without a license generator, whatever that is.
DrStrik9
Mac OS X 10.6.6, 64-bit, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 10 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30“ Display: 2650x1600, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, 24” display: 1920x1200
349 posts
You did check apprentice licence server in the install menu didnt you? It defaults to a full paid licence.
I once got caught out with this. Try re-installing and double check that you switch licence servers at installation.
9 posts
OK, that was it! Thank you. I doubt I would have ever thought of running the installer again.

I also learned that the license generator was down for maintenance last night. So I apparently had two things working against me.

I didn't notice the option during installation to choose a different license, since the default was made for me, which was apparently NOT the Apprentice version. It might be good, since I would guess most people enter the Houdini world these days via the Apprentice version, to change the install default. It isn't all that often you run an installer, so it's not like it's an everyday event. Who knows … if the license generator had been up and running, it might have told me of my need to choose a different license during installation (?).

But then again, I wouldn't have had that little character-building opportunity last night, banging my head against it. LOL
DrStrik9
  • Quick Links