Efficiently Transform Geometry Groups

2806   3   2
4 posts
I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to transform geometry groups using reference points without having to deal with the slowness of copy stamping. I ask because I'm working on a project that involves RBD fracturing and I'm trying to find a Efficient way to cache out my simulation to a small file size.
I noticed that the dop import node allows you to bring in your simulation objects as points and I was hoping I could just cache out these points and use them to move my geometry. Unfortunately the only way to get these points to transform my geometry seems to be copy stamping and that is very slow with hundreds of pieces and high poly geometry.
I've also tried caching out the simulation data using a file data dop and this could work except for the fact that it has to generate one file per piece per frame and for my project this winds up being around eighty thousand files which is just to many to deal with on my network.
James Littlejohn

www.jameslittlejohn.com
339 posts
Howdy Savannah

Here are the goods, you just have to match up the piece # with point # and then you can pull all kinds of fancypants tricks. Excellent way to circumvent the slowness of copy stamping.

Attachments:
transform_by_points1.hip (213.3 KB)

Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
4 posts
Thanks, That works perfectly!
James Littlejohn

www.jameslittlejohn.com
861 posts
Amazing! Recently I seem to be learning a lot of special Houdini techniques.

It seems like dopimport imports the points of each object-center from object-space (?). I've seen that before in other situations and never understood it. Is there an explanation as to why that is the case? I can't see why it would be useful, especially because we always have to perform needless acrobatics subsequentially (such as the adding of P in that vopsop).
--
Jobless
  • Quick Links