Houdini 6.1.208 in Windows 2000?

19653   22   3
108 posts
I agree, Houdini could be a hell lot more stable… but it's a combination of factors.

As for Linux vs Windows, Linux obviously wins. I've never had any serious problems in Linux with any Houdini version. Processor-wise, I couldn't say… (Maybe Intel is the safest?) and graphicscard-wise if you have the money get a professional OpenGL videocard if you don't nVidia GeForce cards should work well, except for maybe some minor things like displaying flaws (face culling, in my case; GeForce4 Go). I can't say much over ATI, except for what I've heard about people who own them and which is generally positive about games and less when it comes to OpenGL (compatibility issues mostly).
154 posts
5 stars to the program, and given that its been written by a very small team of engeneers, its truely an amazing package however

i want to know, how do the big houses handle its unstablilty.
i dont have a massive machine my self, but that should just make the ops cook slower, and given that im not making the inside of jacks mind with increadible l-systems or trees from what dreams may come.

im just a bit worried cause even on my basic scenes, i run into problems.

when i compare how my setup handles maya, theres no comparison.

its it just a general thing that their auto save is the best feature?

aracid
135 posts
I am still running a dual 550 P3 Sgi visual workstation . running win2000 sp6 and nothing is wrong with Houdini at all .. Except for beta version of 6.5 that the User content in the help menu crashes houdini. but other then that everything is fine..

Looking to get the new boxx machine ,,, Does any one know of any problems with the Daul Opterons machine run into any problems with houdini at all.. UNder win xp? looking to get one in the fall… to help do my thesis project… ?

George
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
  • Quick Links