Houdini-Non Commercial

10194   6   1
1 posts
Hey I'm thinking about buying Houdini, the $99 one, not the thousands of dollar one. Anyway, I was wondering if you can do earth effect in the non-commercial version. I need a ground to collapse, but not the entire ground just like a small circle or rectangle , can you do this n the non-commercial version?
150 posts
Houdini Apprentice HD is capable of doing everything that Houdini Master can do. The only limitations are a resolution limit of 1920x1080 for rendering, no FBX export and you can not use it for commercial purposes.
Technical Reel 2015 [vimeo.com]
56 posts
and commercial mean for money=?
what i mean is i am a apprentice hd user
but on that can i make video and thing for friends for free
just curious
http://lefhstudio.blogspot.dk/ [lefhstudio.blogspot.dk]
Staff
2540 posts
Yes that is perfectly fine and encouraged use for HD! Share your work and post links here as well.

If you are doing professional work with HD where you are being paid for services rendered, that is a breach of the EULA.
There's at least one school like the old school!
1 posts
Would posting my animation made on Houdini onto youtube be considered commercial use?
1 posts
mrrocketman10
Would posting my animation made on Houdini onto youtube be considered commercial use?
Staff
2540 posts
Our recent EULA is available here and covers commercial/indie/non-commercial license use limitations:

SideFX License Agreement [www.sidefx.com]

This is the best place to understand the limitations.

The original post above is from 2011 and relates to what we now call Indie which has gone up in price over the years.

Indie can be used in a commercial capacity as long as the user/organization makes less than $100K revenue and they have investments less than $1M (see EULA above). If this is the case the answer is absolutely you can earn revenue from the YouTube video.

If the YouTube video is non-monetized, then that is not garnering any revenue so that would be fine for all the non-commercial license types (apprentice, education). If apprentice was used, the watermark needs to be kept. The intent with Apprentice is to showcase your skills out in the open and to lead towards employment.

On a completely different note but in line with income from license types, you can use the SideFX Orbolt on-line store Orbolt [www.orbolt.com] to earn income form HDAs. If you upload an asset to Orbolt with Apprentice, Indie or FX/Core, you can set the cost from $0 to whatever all in exchange for a percentage of the income. The asset is also de-tainted so can be used by others for commercial purposes.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links