Q: Cloth success?

15792   22   7
21 posts
Probably not news to many, but cloth seems to have improved.

I have been stuck in H10 for a long time and just had a bit of time to test out H11.0.733.

The firsts tests seem promising, even when compared with maya nCloth, which is fantastic.

Here is a simple collision with tearing example:

http://vimeo.com/24410553 [vimeo.com]

Although there are definitely some quirks to using the system, I feel like even this simple test makes for some interesting possibilities.

So, a few basic things I am wondering about. Why do the parameters in the cloth object seem to be resolution specific. For example, a grid of 20x20 and 10x10 do not behave the same with respect to tearing. This is counter intuitive to people who might do a quick test and then start moving up the resolution of the geo.

In maya, it doesn't seem to have this problem. Although, you do have to resetup the entire sim if the geo changes, so maybe there is something in the setup process I am not seeing.

One other request is something like the maya presets. I haven't been doing much in dops these days, so maybe I don't know of a simple way to do this, but making a preset for cloth that behaves like silk, versus rubber seems to cross different nodes if not contexts. Regardless, it would be cool if there was a mechanism for making cloth presets.

Well, hopefully more tests to come. Nice work sesi
Nathan Ortiz
CG Supervisor, Framestore Melbourne
7025 posts
Hi Nathan,

Very promising indeed, though I have found that crumpling and tearing stuff in 11 (in my crude, non-production-related tests) give good results. I'm waiting for someone to get some clothing on a character

Cheers,

Peter B
21 posts
Posting hip file for anyone who might want to play.

Attachments:
cloth_tearing_v001_t006.hipnc (249.6 KB)

Nathan Ortiz
CG Supervisor, Framestore Melbourne
  • Quick Links