Ghosted geometry attributes visibility

5453   7   1
509 posts
Hey there,
searched all over the forums and the docs (and the office's colleagues knowledge) but I can't find an answer ..

.. how do I HIDE ghosted geometry (or others GEO once you're in SOP if that's clearer) attributes? for example if I'm displaying some geometry in ghost mode but I need to see point number and normal in my SOP I see all the point number and normals for the ghosted geometry also, which is *very annoying* …
the only workaround I found so far is not using ghosting geometry at all and Object Merging and using Template viewport display options.. but honestly I find this very silly doing all the time.

RFE, bug or me not finding the answer?
any help is very appreciated
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
8579 posts
maybe not much help, but you can go to Display Options/Guides & Markers
Set Display Options for Normal Geometry: keep all unchecked
Set Display Options for Selected Geometry: uncheck Same As Normal Geometry
and also check all attributes you want to show

now you actually need to select points/faces/… in viewport while being inside any SOP to be able to see attributes, but since you cannot select ghosted geometry S followed by Ctrl+A in any selection mode should work as you expect
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
509 posts
Hi and thanks for your reply,

although I either got it wrong or it doesn't fix my thing.

see the attached image to describe the problem.

GEO1->grid
GEO20>sphere

I'm inside GEO1 and I don't want to see normals and point numbers (or point markers either) from GEO2.

Attachments:
ghost.jpg (40.9 KB)

JcN
509 posts
sorry I just realized that the previous screeshot wasn't too good, here's another one .. “light” viewport color scheme .. and the sphere now has higher point number to show the problem.

Imagine working on the grid GEO and wanting the sphere in Ghost mode, and you need to work on the grid's normals (and showing points numbers and markers) … I want to not see the sphere's point numbers/normals/markers.

hope this makes more sense.

Attachments:
ghost_light.jpg (44.3 KB)

JcN
8579 posts
this is what I ment

Attachments:
screen01.jpg (76.9 KB)
screen02.jpg (85.6 KB)
screen03.jpg (136.0 KB)
screen04.jpg (137.5 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
509 posts
ops sorry, yeah you're right .. that works
Don't know what I've done wrong in my first attempt but thanks for that.
JcN
Staff
5161 posts
Since it's now been posted in the H12 sneak peek, I can comment

There will be separate display sets for Object and model-level geometry, which should eliminate this behaviour by default. There are also visibility options for most geometry decorations, such as only displaying them on selected components, and when the mouse is over or near the component.
509 posts
twod
Since it's now been posted in the H12 sneak peek, I can comment

There will be separate display sets for Object and model-level geometry, which should eliminate this behaviour by default. There are also visibility options for most geometry decorations, such as only displaying them on selected components, and when the mouse is over or near the component.

tell me about it!!! I just saw the SNeak Peak video .. and teh Display visibility option one is my favorite!!! I literally said “holy s*hit that' amazing!!” … the “visibility biased pointer” is simply outstanding … now I can't wait, that was a massive tease!!"
JcN
  • Quick Links