Problem with FLIP fluids interaction with RBD object

6867   2   1
2 posts
Hey All!

I'm new in the field of Houdini but I use cg softwares for 5-6 years from now, and I have a noob question.

I would like to do a “dam break” scene in Houdini. I build the scene like a box shaped container with a moving wall from the half of the container, with the animation to go upward. And I created a box shape for fluid and after I turned into FLIP fluid. After that, I made the wall and the container to a static RBD object. And this works fine, but when I start the simulation, the fluid is flew through the box, so they don't interact and I don't know why.

I tried to make the box to triangulated shapes, because in Realflow only understand this type of polygons, and I hope that it could be the same mistake, but no difference. I also made an obj file from a different 3d package to import a geometry and also working with that, but that's the same.

I saw the Introduction to FLIP fluids from this site, but there are no information about this. When I use the sample files, from that it's correct, I can do anyhing with that setup, but when I'm making something from nothing, it's is not working. It's the same, when I wanted to make a river type thing, with Sculpted Particle Fluid object.

Please help me, why I'm wrong. maybe in the AutoDopNetwork I have to make connection or something like that.

The workfile is attached to this post.

It would be a great help for me, so thanks in advance!

Attachments:
model 2.hipnc (342.4 KB)

153 posts
*you have to create static or rbd objects, use the shelf tool for it.
*give volume to your geometry (face have no volume) before you send them to simlulation.
*try to simplfy your simulation , it will be more efficient.

I placed example , it can be done in many ways.

Attachments:
model_2_117_solve.hipnc (432.1 KB)
model_2_117_solve_02.hipnc (373.6 KB)

2 posts
That's awesome! Thank you James_Burg!

That's a huge help for me. I have to make it a deeper look to understand what was the main difference. ( I saw you make some changes with the box, for ex: blast and fuse, and I will figure out why )

Now my only thing to figure out, is how can I export the particles to bin files, or anything else than can be exported to a different 3d package. I tried to make it with file operator to write files with the path to Desktop/name.bin but without success.

Thank you again, for the fast reply and everything!!!
  • Quick Links