Today on CNN:OUTSOURCING to India

5686   5   3
58 posts
Just got phone call from my mother,she remembers that we have been discussing that topic(me trying to compell her that CG can be real job to earn for living and build family)
Not sure if it?Ls directly CG related or not
PLEASE,if somebody can post in two senetences what has been said,if important CG stuff been discussed
I can?Lt see it and my mother doesn?Lt really understand what that has to to with me,35,no BS degrre or Fine Ar,tmasonary worker(brick layer) here in Vienna if somebody sells shoes in Bombay insted of LA

Best regards,
Ben
Best regards,
Ben
237 posts
Hey I was a apprentice bricklayer for 9 months… then i went back to school and discovered 3D I have only been employed in 3d retail visualization or animation since… I would call that a living. I didn?ft go to university because there were no courses in 3d animation around when I was leaving school, just collage courses. I don?ft plan on getting a “real” job any time soon, I am not a shinning example of success yet but I am working on it.
Robert Kelly
330 posts
I don't know about Europe but in Australia there is already a shortage of people with trades (builders, bricklayers, carpenters, tilers etc etc etc) and in the future that shortage will be critical. Already you might need to wait 2-3 months for someone. The future looks excellent for tradesmen.

on the other hand its possible to go for an animators job and be in competition with someone who has 20 years experience at disney. you would need a killer demo reel, maybe call it shrek.

im not saying there is no opportunity in 3d - i think there is plenty of opportunity, but so many people want to get into movies only. for them its like doing a sport only to get into the olympics. 0.00025% will, 99.99975% will be disappointed.

just my opinion
237 posts
It isn?ft easy my father is 57 a bricklayer and he is trying to switch over to being a macadamia nut farmer. There farm is about 10 years old and just coming up to being able to provide enough of an income for my parents. The building industry is booming now, he can make plenty of money but the work is getting harder as he gets older. My older brother was a bricklayer and has started a multimedia business, and having difficulty making it a profitable enterprise. My father believes if my brother was working in the building industry he would have plenty of money, there is more work than there are workers.

I guess selling “fluff” (that is what we make) you have to make pretty good fluff, there are many people wanting to get away from “real” work to our land of fluff. Don?ft get me wrong we can and do work very hard at making fluff. But come the apocalypse :twisted: , VFX artists will be having a hard time finding work. Although we will be able to know what everything will look like with all the post apocalyptic wastelands and vehicle we have made in the past in 3D. :wink:

So you have to become a pretty fast and efficient maker of fluff, that is why you use Houdini it makes fluff that the other fluff tools would get all fluffed out trying to make.
Robert Kelly
330 posts
mmmmm macadamias
237 posts
When I help them harvest likes a good son should, nothing better to lie in the nuts in the back of the truck. It massages you whole body, especially your back that is all screwed up from picking up nuts all day.
Robert Kelly
  • Quick Links