Inverting z-depth render pass

5922   3   1
12 posts
Hi.

When I add an extra Image Plane for Pz, the resulting depth pass comes out with black representing near pixels and white representing far pixels. When I import this into After Effects, I get black fringing on the edge of the alpha next to the far white pixels. Changing alpha interpretation does not fix the problem. And there is no simple way to fix in AE aside from choking out the black, which affects the edges of the depth pass and not ideal.

We had the same problem with Mental Ray and VRay coming from Maya, and found that we could change the far pixels to black and near pixels to white in Maya. This left the black fringing next to the black pixels which works great.

Is there any way to invert this in Houdini? Or are we simply doing something wrong?

Thanks!
2624 posts
Hi,
Sounds like you are not setting up the pass correctly.
Add the pz image plane in your rop. Quantize :- 32 bit float as the output so as not to get any antialiasing on the edges.
Sample filter :- to Closest Surface
Pixel filter :- to minmax min
Set the pixel filter to “closest sample filtering” or “minmax min” for no antialiasing or feathering of edges which cause useless depth information.

Rob
Gone fishing
12 posts
Thanks so much. Works like a champ.
2624 posts
No problem > Post up an example file for others !

rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links