Making a copy of the imported Illustrator path/primitive?

3120   6   1
55 posts
Is there a way to copy the edge/path or primitive from Illustrator file that's imported into Houdini to be worked as a separate object so I don't need to have the Ai or EPS file associated with anymore? I tried Trace SOP and Extract but it requires the image file or node path info as well.

Since I still can't manage to bring in Ai path to center or the size shows up to be super big and stuff so I would like to make a copy of it and start fresh from it (center and subdivide…etc.).

Or if I am passing the file to another person to continue working on it and this missing file or link won't be an issue.

Is it possible?

David
2624 posts
Hi,
Just create a new obj node > use a merge object sop and point to the geometry node containing the ai file. Then use a blast sop to get rid of geometry you don't need. Or better still post up a scene file showing a simple example of the issue

Rob
Gone fishing
55 posts
Hi, Rob

Thanks for helping out. I have attached a sample scene of a leave. The leave shape was created in Illustrator and I have imported the EPS file into Houdini as a file node.

It is a big primitive at the moment. What I am trying to do is do copy and extract the primitive to be a solo object node which I can maybe subdivide it into polygons and extrude here and there or push and pull the points around even without the Ai file.

David
Edited by - April 11, 2012 00:56:37

Attachments:
leave.hipnc (49.9 KB)

55 posts
Can't upload EPS file so I am uploading an Ai file instead. Hope it would work now.

Attachments:
leave.ai (15.8 KB)

2624 posts
Hi,
see attached , MMB on the nodes to see notes > they have been highlighted with a colour.

Rob

Attachments:
leaf_rse.hip (109.1 KB)

Gone fishing
258 posts
circusmonkey great file share here and just wanted to say thanks.
55 posts
Great help, Rob!

I am still studying your node tree on subdividing shape into polygons but would like to come up here and say thank you first!

Sincerely,

David
  • Quick Links